FORUMS: list search recent posts

export then import quicktime movies on a large project......

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Desmond Burgess
export then import quicktime movies on a large project......
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:35:48 pm

I'm editing on Final Cut Pro 5.

My project is large, 2 hours long...

I'm wondering if its a good idea to export four 30 minute movie files and import those back into a new timeline, instead of working with thousands of clips with individual corrections.

I want to finalize each 30 minute chunk and be done with it. Is there any loss when exporting a quicktime movie? I've heard its just like a rendered version of exactly whats on your timeline. So any problem with exporting then importing?

Eventually I'm going to export the entire 2 hours as a lossless png for digibeta transfer.

Thank you

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: export then import quicktime movies on a large project......
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:03:01 pm

[Desmond Burgess] "I'm wondering if its a good idea to export four 30 minute movie files and import those back into a new timeline, instead of working with thousands of clips with individual corrections. "

There's no substantial technical reason for not doing things that way. Exporting using Quicktime Movie at current settings (without checking recompress all frames) is identical to what on the timeline, and without a generation loss.

[Desmond Burgess] "Eventually I'm going to export the entire 2 hours as a lossless png for digibeta transfer."

Why??? That probably has no benefit whatsoever. What is your thought process?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Desmond Burgess
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:09:16 pm

Hey David, thanks for the response!

Good to hear its a practical solution to do it that way.

I have to end up on either Digibeta or BetaSP for festival exhibition. Seemed like an easier way to do it to have those already assembled movie clips on a timeline as opposed to individual clips for the big final png export, as its already gonna take forever...

Would you suggest another approach?

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:39:04 pm

I think what David is asking is why are you exporting to PNG for a DigiBeta transfer? It's an odd choice, and not standard in any way.

If you need to export your project in order to transfer it to another system for output to DigiBeta, a better choice would be to export a self-contained Quicktime movie of your project using Uncompressed 10-bit, Uncompressed 8-bit or ProRes 422 as the codec.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:40:38 pm

Forgot to add:

Exporting a video project to a .png image sequence involves a YUV>RGB conversion that will have to be reversed and re-rendered in order to output to DigiBeta.

Am I misunderstanding your post?

Return to posts index

Desmond Burgess
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:43:46 pm

Well I've heard from several post people its a good idea to have a totally lossless large png file for any transfers, but it may not be standard practice, I don't know. Seems you can get quite different advice depending on who you speak to...

So Uncompressed 10-bit Quicktime movie is just as good/or better? Do you think that would actually be a faster export?

I guess I should be looking for whatever works best with various conversions. I need the one good final export where I can end up in digitbeta, betasp, dvd, etc; the master file I can compress or do whatever off.

So quicktime uncompressed would work?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Kevin Maguire
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:19:39 pm

Desmond, the longest digibeta tape is 124 minutes. Sounds like you'll be taking this somewhere to have it recorded onto tape; if so, ask their advice first, but the PNG idea is total nonsense. Find out what codec the facilities house prefer you to use (if you turn up with the wrong thing, they'll charge you for re-rendering time etc).

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:38:23 pm

What is the codec of your editing sequence in FCP?

Quicktime Uncompressed 10-bit or 8-bit would be perfect for a master file. The only issue is file size - a 2-hour file might be pretty unwieldy to transfer, depending on the speed of the hard drive interface (USB, Firewire, etc.). That's why ProRes 422 is also a good option, as long as the post facility can work with it. ProRes 422 achieves much smaller file sizes, and it's a visually lossless codec. Don't use ProRes 422 (HQ), that's reserved for special formats.

If the post facility is using an AVID system, they can suggest the proper AVID codec to use - AVID makes their codecs available for free download. If you need to export your master file for export on an AVID system, you can download and install the AVID codecs to accomplish this.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:24:14 pm

[Alan Okey] "I think what David is asking is why are you exporting to PNG for a DigiBeta transfer?"

Yes, that was my intent...

Looks like Alan and everyone else have chimed in and answered this one, however, let me just say that the best result would be to changing the compressor to 10-bit uncompressed, then re-render, then export a Quicktime Movie at current settings.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:05:17 pm

[Desmond Burgess] "...My project is large, 2 hours long... I have to end up on either Digibeta or BetaSP for festival exhibition...."

As far as I know, the longest such tapes are just 90 minutes. So you might think about a convenient spot to switch from the first tape to the second.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:56:59 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "As far as I know, the longest such tapes are just 90 minutes. So you might think about a convenient spot to switch from the first tape to the second. "

The longest Digibeta is 124 minutes (ntsc). I used them many times.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/69396-REG/Sony_BCTD124L_A_BCT_D94L_12...

Return to posts index

Desmond Burgess
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:25:01 pm

124 minutes....perfect. Looks like I'll be trimming it down a bit. :)

I'm still shopping around for a post house thats easy to work with on a tiny project. I'm in LA if anyone knows anyone they would suggest.

Thanks for the great info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]