FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro switching applications problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesus Silva
Final Cut Pro switching applications problem
on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:26:12 pm

Hi There,
We have an interesting issue, Final cut pro does not like to switch applications. When going to the finder and back to FCP we get the beach ball in FCP. It take a good 30 sec to get control back, as you can imagine doing this all day is very frustrating.

We have try all the possible maintenance methods, permissions, Applejack, etc, no luck.
Projects files are about 80MB, working on XDCAM EX and ProRes 422.

We are running 2x2.66 Quad core, 8GB RAM, FCP 6.0.6, OSX 10.5.8, 12TB Fiber RAID split in SAN01 and SAN02. We have two machines and both have the same identical problem.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

"Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity."
Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Final Cut Pro switching applications problem
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:01:13 pm

Trash your waveform and thumbnail cache, then turn off the thumbnails.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jesus Silva
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:59:00 pm

Done and no change.

"Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity."
Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:18:44 pm

If you open a new and empty project, does it happen then?

I would imagine it has to do with the amount of material you have and the codec.

Return to posts index

Jesus Silva
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:23:33 pm

With an empty project it does not happen, however my current project is only 80MB.

Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Bob Auiler
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:11:03 pm

Sounds like a corrupt project file, copy everything from the project that's acting up into a new project.

80MB is a good size project file, if you select all before copying be patient, you'll probably get a beachball for 20 seconds or so.

Bob Auiler | bob.auiler@mvpcollaborative.com

Return to posts index

Jesus Silva
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:42:58 pm

We have setup new projects already and same issue. We still get the beach ball every time you switch applications or just by going in to the finder.

Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:50:40 pm

Could be a SAN issue as well. What happens if you aren't connected to the SAN?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Auiler
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:12:10 pm

Since there is no problem when you create a new project and the problem follows your current project, I would try to isolate corrupt media by moving small segments into the new project that works fine.

I would also create a new sequence and copy/paste all of the clips into it.

Bob Auiler | bob.auiler@mvpcollaborative.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:40:08 pm

[Bob Auiler] "I would try to isolate corrupt media by moving small segments into the new project that works fine. "

Digital rebellion has a corrput clip finder to do just this, but it costs money. It's part of the FCS Maintenance Pack:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcs_maintenance.htm

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:28:48 am

Just wanted to clarify - FCS Maintenance Pack has a fully functional trial so you can happily use it for 15 days as if it was the full version and then uninstall it and not have to pay a penny.

Return to posts index

Jesus Silva
on Sep 22, 2009 at 5:18:19 am

At this point we are dealing only with footage, XDCAM EX and ProRes, no graphics no efx.
I could give it a try to the FCP maintenance pack, but this project is fairly in its begging stages, and the systems are brand new.

Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2009 at 3:13:18 pm

[Jesus Silva] "but this project is fairly in its begging stages, and the systems are brand new. "

Begging stages, eh? I know that stage. ;-)

Still, this doesn't mean you don't have something that went bad. Corruption can happen at any time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:48:37 pm

Jesus,

I can confirm that I've seen this exact same behavior on many of our systems. The strange thing is it doesn't happen on all systems, or all projects. You should certainly try all of the suggestions offered, but I'm not optimistic that you'll see improvements.

The fact that it does resolve itself in less than a minute points to some kind of cacheing process.

Good luck.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]