FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing SD DVCRO 50 for HD Broadcast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Manuel
Editing SD DVCRO 50 for HD Broadcast
on Sep 20, 2009 at 4:24:08 am

I am DP on a show shooting with an SDX900 DVCPRO50 and the local station that is airing it requires the editors to deliver the final master on an HD XDCAM disc. Post is capturing the footage DVCPRO50 and editing, color correcting and adding graphics in an Apple Prores HQ 422 1920x1080 timeline. Then they render the project and record it straight out of the FCP timeline through AJA system to an XDCAM deck. I've also seen them export a QT .mov (XDCAM 1920x1080), drop that .mov into a timeline and play the timeline while recording to the XDCAM deck. I don't know how they came up with this workflow but I'm worried that footage is not looking it's best when broadcast. I've seen SDX900 footage on HD broadcast before that looked quite nice considering it is SD. I just saw the broadcast and detail was quite muddy for my taste. Any suggested workflow improvements are welcome. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Editing SD DVCRO 50 for HD Broadcast
on Sep 20, 2009 at 2:38:17 pm

Hi carlos manuel,
I wouldn't make the footage upscaling in FC.
I would use Compressor or, even better, the Kona to go DV50> Proress HD.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Carlos Manuel
Re: Editing SD DVCPRO 50 for HD Broadcast
on Sep 21, 2009 at 4:27:17 am

Thanks Rafael. I will pass this suggestion on to the editors. I'm not sure if the Kona cards (lhe & lhi) can do the upscaling. I hear the Kona 3 does a good job though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]