FORUMS: list search recent posts

what is needed for HD multicam editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob Mortensen
what is needed for HD multicam editing
on Sep 18, 2009 at 6:48:48 pm

Hey

I have just tried the briliant multi-cam editing feature on HDV tracks and that for sure did expose my systems weakness. I have a macbook 4gb ram, external firewire disk.

BUT that was just to much for the system. Now I am wondering what would be the requirement/investment for a system that can handle this.

I am thinking a macbook pro with the expresscard option, some kind of raid system for the disks. But would that do the trick ?? I also have a new imac but can I add some kind of disk system to that one so that i can handle the HDV multicam edit ?

Hope someone has ideas to share.

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: what is needed for HD multicam editing
on Sep 18, 2009 at 8:52:43 pm

The problem may not be the drives, but the processor. Native HDV playing back long GOP MPEG-2 is extremely hard on the processor. Multiple tracks of HDV is a huge amount to handle in real-time, not the throughout of the data rate, which is same as DV, but for the processor to decode. Faster computer might be the only way, or don't do the multicam edit in real-time using Unlimited RT.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 19, 2009 at 12:39:42 am

Like Tom said it could be processor related what is your processor speed.

I do multi cam edits on my MBP (2.66 GHz) all the time. Even though I shoot on a HDV camera wont edit in HDV I use ProRes.

A raid connected via eSATA is highly recommended though.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Sep 19, 2009 at 3:12:15 pm

Hey

Thanks for your help.

Your post made me realize that I actually didnt work with HDV it was in prores422 didnt know there was a difference in how hard the files are to work with though.

My processor is a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo so if you can with a 2.66 i should be able to do the same the speed differences in those are marginal..

BUT I cant so there must be a difference in how its configured. BUT if you run with a set of raid disks that is maybe the explanation.

Thanks for your help

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Sep 19, 2009 at 3:00:26 pm

Hi

Thanks for the answer. I just realize that I actually DONT edit in HDV but in prores422. Didnt know that made a difference.

Anyway the Prores422 didnt work at all either.

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]