FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two Pop Placement - 23.98 to 60i Drop Frame

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
B Train
Two Pop Placement - 23.98 to 60i Drop Frame
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:48:55 pm

Hi,
I posted on here earlier about how to time a project I am working on for going from 23.98 to 60i with Drop Frame timecode. I am clear on what my out point should be to compensate for the way Drop Frame counts the frames, but does this affect my two pop at the beginning? I am guessing not, as 1 minute is not enough time for DF timecode to skip any frame numbers. If this is not the case could somebody please clear this up for me?

My sequence starts at 00:59:00:00, then has the standard 30 secs of bars & tone, 10 sec slate, 10 sec black, 10 second countdown, 2pop at 00:59:58:00, and picture start at 01:00:00:00.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Two Pop Placement - 23.98 to 60i Drop Frame
on Sep 18, 2009 at 6:05:39 pm

Timecode starts shifting at 1 min. With DF code, two digits are dropped every min, except for every 10th min. So if you start at 58:00:00...then by the time you get to 1:00:00:00, you will be 4 frames off. BUT...when they dub the tape, they compensate for this. HOW...good question...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

B Train
Re: Two Pop Placement - 23.98 to 60i Drop Frame
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:28:21 pm

Ok. So here is what I am doing. I am going to mix in 23.98 by use of an OMF export to the sound house. That way I can keep all the cuts that the editor did to the dialogue before converting to 60i, as when I try do the conversion in FCP the 60i sequence has clips that lose frames and become out of sync. I am going to line that all up using the NDF 23.98 timecode, although leaving my out point at the point I have tested to compensate for DF.
Then I am going output the picture as one piece, add the pulldown with after effects and bring it back in to FCP. When I get the mix back from the sound house, I will line that up in the 60i timeline to to the visual 2 from the pulldown output, and use reference the audio pop 23.98 output, and everything should line up.
This is correct as far as I can tell, any thoughts?

I noticed FCP will only let you start your DF timecode at 00:59:00:02. This I believe is because the 0 and 1 frames technically don't exist. As far as I understand though, no frames are being added or subtracted in any of these processes. Only frames being added for playback in 29.97 via the pulldown process, and frames being counted differently by the DF timecode. That being said, I believe everything should line up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]