FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nightmare P2 and FCP scenario

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Roach
Nightmare P2 and FCP scenario
on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:50:59 pm

I've never felt the need to post, because I usually can figure out what I need reading past posts. But so far, I'm still up the creek.

I was given footage shot on a HVX200, transferred from a P2 card and placed on a LaCie portable drive.

I have the portable drive and have backed it up on my media drive.

The files are in their proper directories, and I do have the LASTCLIP.TXT file. I have about 12.5 gigs of footage in the main folder, finder says.

I got P2CMS and it recognizes the clips, attaches them to the thumbnails, but won't play the clips in that program. It just plays a black screen when I try to preview. I ingested them, but that didn't work either, still no preview.

When I try to import in FCP using Panasonic P2 import, nothing happens. I click on the P2 folder (not the contents folder the main p2 card folder) and the computer thinks for seconds and then doesn't load any of the clips into FCP. I have tried unchecking the pulldown box as well. nothing

So I tried dropping in the ingested files, but same problem, nothing is recognized, and it asks me for a translation document.

I am using an older version of FCP (5.1.4) on a OS 10.5.8 Intel mac with 4gigs of Ram. I was thinking I might need to upgrade to FCP 6 at least, but that doesn't seem like it would fix my problem since P2CMS is also acting up and I have never had a problem working with P2 footage before.

Any help would save me from going bald tomorrow.

Sean

Return to posts index

Sean Roach
Re: Nightmare P2 and FCP scenario
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:02:44 pm

I realize this might be better in the HVX section., sorry folks.

But another note. If I export the footage to a DPX sequence in P2CMS I can see in photoshop that the frames are all there, so the video is somewhere, just can't figure out how to access it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:44:07 pm

No, it's fine to be here. You got a couple P2 experts here, so we can figure this out.

My problem is that I don't use P2CMS, as I find it confusing and pointless. So I can't help there.

Hmmm...turn off networking...airport, disconnect from Ethernet if you have that (although this is more of an issue with FCP 6.0.x lately). You installed the P2 drivers, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the cards (thinking out loud)...

Perhaps install FCP again? On top of your current install. It will install any missing components. And it SHOULDN'T mess things up. Well, no, that might get you back to 5.1.0... hmmmm...

So you open P2 Import (or does 5.1.4 have LOG and TRANSFER? I forget, been too long) and you don't see the card? You direct FCP to it and it doesn't load. Man, that sounds like the FX Factory issue...

I'll ponder more. And perhaps Jeremy will pop in with more ideas.

Wait...Did you shoot DVCPRO HD P2, or AVCIntra P2?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sean Roach
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:47:54 pm

I believe the footage is AVCIntra 100 I believe.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:21:23 pm

A-HA! I don't think that AVCIntra support hit FCP 5.1.

Yup, AVCIntra support is only available in FCP 6.o or 7.0:

http://www.apple.com/support/releasenotes/en/Final_Cut_Pro_6.0_rn/

Gotta upgrade.

Shane

Return to posts index

Sean Roach
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:40:21 pm

ah! Guess it's time to... get with the times.

But for my own piece of mind, why wouldn't P2CMS play the clips either?

sean

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2009 at 6:19:12 pm

Got me. As I said, I don't use P2CMS...

Shane

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 19, 2009 at 6:09:38 pm

"I believe the footage is AVCIntra 100 I believe." are you sure? your first post said the footage came from a HVX200, one of the two is wrong. HVX200 only shoots DVCPro or DV codecs.

Return to posts index

Sean Roach
on Sep 19, 2009 at 6:26:29 pm

That's what I thought too.

But, when he handed me the media, I asked him if it was shot on an HVX and he said "yes, and shot full HD AVC Intra 100..." so maybe he has his camera mixed up...

Either way I just bought FCP 7, so we'll see if that was the problem.

Return to posts index

Sean Roach
on Sep 19, 2009 at 8:24:34 pm

FCP 7 fixed it.

I have logged and captured the footage from the drive.

so it must have been and AVCIntra problem. Still don't know why P2CMS was whacked, but I'm moving on... just minus $1,000.

sean

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:22:55 pm

Do you have FX FACTORY installed? Perian?

Shane

Return to posts index

Sean Roach
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:28:31 pm

I don't have either of those.

Also, I tried exporting to DPX files using P2CMS, and I have made the individual DPX frames. So I can see the footage, frame by frame, in photoshop... so it is there, somewhere

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]