FORUMS: list search recent posts

p2 backup importing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Burke
p2 backup importing
on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:08:17 pm

Just to apologize beforehand, I searched under several different manners, and could not find what I needed. If this is simple, I am just not getting it.

I have been using a Lacie D2 for a few months, and backing up the P2 contents to another (slower) lacie drive as told to in the tutorial from this forum (Drag both the last clip folder and the other folder to the second drive).

Well, of course my 3 month old Lacie d2 failed and the drive just clicks. Not a great sign. Not recognizing the drive at all, it never launches.

I will have to recut everything, which is fine. However, how do I get the files back in to the Macbook pro? I am on FCP 5.1 and tiger.

Import file>Panasonic P2 does not seem to work and I can't get them in as a direct import.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: p2 backup importing
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:20:12 pm

[Dan Burke] "I will have to recut everything, which is fine."

No, you will not. If you have the project file, all you need to do is reimport the footage and everything will relink. THIS is the magic of TIMECODE! And reel information, and clip naming, and all sorts of organizational things.

[Dan Burke] "how do I get the files back in to the Macbook pro?"

Connect that slower LaCie. Now open FCP. Highlight all the footage in the Browser. Go FILE>BATCH CAPTURE. Yes, this is the typical interface you use for tape, but trust me. Then FCP will just reimport the footage. IF...you imported from the backup drive to begin with. FCP will remember the path. If you moved the media or changed the names, you might need to open Log and Transfer first, then load ALL the cards there...THEN do the Batch Capture command.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Burke
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:36:03 pm

trying it tonight. Will let you know, thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Dan Burke
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:39:38 pm

The backup drive was strictly pulled of the cards directly as shown in the P2 tutorial here from long ago. So, they were never the source files. When you say load the cards, do you mean files? the cards have long been wiped clean.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:47:23 pm

OK...what I am asking is did you import the files originally INTO FCP from this drive? If so, and you didn't change anything, then FCP will remember the file structure. But if you have any problems, then open the P2 Import interface, load all the P2 dump folders into it, so that FCP knows where they are, then Batch Capture.

[Dan Burke] "When you say load the cards, do you mean files?"

I mean the FOLDERS that contain the CONTENTS and LASTCLIP files. Load ALL of the dump folders (that is one term for them) into the P2 import interface...

Shane

Return to posts index

Dan Burke
on Sep 21, 2009 at 1:15:59 am

Log and transfer does not exist for FCP 5. Do I need to be on 6 for this to work?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 21, 2009 at 3:49:40 pm

No...just open IMPORT P2 and do the same thing...load the cards (if needed), then Batch Capture.

Shane

Return to posts index

Dan Burke
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:20:24 pm

First of all, I want to thank you for helping. I am a 15 year pro editor, several of which I have used FCP, but have never run into this problem.

The files were never from the original project. On the tutorial here, it says that to make a backup when dumping in your cards, connect a second drive and drag both the contents and the last clip files over to it. THis becomes your backup. Disconnect that drive, and edit off another that you import the footage off the cards. I used a pci adapter.

When I do as you suggested, all I get is "invalid MXF or invalid XML files" error notices. Batch capture does nothing, as the files never make it into the logging bin.

What am I doing wrong?

Open import p2, open the drive in a finder window, drag both folders over to the import logging window, and I get a never ending cycle of error messages asking me to choose a translation file. Selecting the folders in the bin and clicking batch capture does nothing as well.

Return to posts index

Dan Burke
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:23:42 pm

Scratch all I said before. You are a god.

Got it all back.

thanks so much.

Dan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 21, 2009 at 11:36:05 pm

So you got it working then?

OK THEN...glad to be a God...er...of help.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]