FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring with Intensity Pro question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Grey
Monitoring with Intensity Pro question
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:35:46 am

Hi, doing a TV project and it has been rejected by the network due to interlacing issues as we are apparently using some dodgy footage from the US.

We don't usually need to monitor as everything is shot in 1080i, but with some of our footage now coming from the US in all types of crazy formats, I would like to see it as it would end up on TV.

Would the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card allow me to do this?

Ie. the network claimed that some footage had "very poor conversion from NTSC causing bad motion judder / motion jump", "field-order errors", and "looks like interlaced original footage (50i) has been incorrectly deinterlaced (25p) using a field-merge technique resulting in unacceptable judder / stutter / double images"

This is from VNRs and footage downloaded from US productions houses which all looked fine in FCP on our computer monitors. So could I plug in a LCD TV via the Intensity Pro that will allow me to instantly see these issues?

Many thanks, David

Return to posts index

Kai Cheong
Re: Monitoring with Intensity Pro question
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:12:02 pm

Hi David, to piggy back on your post (I'm one post below yours, mulling over monitoring options as well): would a SD CRT TV connected via an Intensity Pro card be a possible downconverted preview monitor for checking interlacing?

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:34:20 pm

[David Grey] "Hi, doing a TV project and it has been rejected by the network due to interlacing issues as we are apparently using some dodgy footage from the US...
...the network claimed that some footage had "very poor conversion from NTSC causing bad motion judder / motion jump", "field-order errors", and "looks like interlaced original footage (50i) has been incorrectly deinterlaced (25p) using a field-merge technique resulting in unacceptable judder / stutter / double images" "

You DO realize that PAL and NTSC operate at different frame rates, right? I ask because it sounds like you put 29.97 NTSC footage into a 50i PAL timeline and hoped for the best... and you have to do the frame rate conversion BEFORE you put it in the edit timeline.

You can use Compressor to do the trick, but in terms of image quality, hardware always trumps software. You might consider taking the 29.97 footage to a production house and getting it converted to PAL on something like a Teranex box.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Just thought of something else....
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:34:58 pm

... this so-called "dodgy" NTSC footage may also be a film transfer -- you didn't say. Personally, I think it was more a case of sheer ignorance.

You DO know how to remove 3:2 pulldown, right?

The news gets even better: if the film was transferred to tape or to a file and THEN edited at 29.97, you'll have nightmares trying to remove it, becausse the pulldown cadence will be all over the place.

Have fun.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Grey
Re: Just thought of something else....
on Sep 20, 2009 at 4:50:38 pm

it was a VNR - not film

Return to posts index

David Grey
on Sep 20, 2009 at 4:49:15 pm

Yes I realize they're different frame rates, but the footage we were supplied was already in PAL format.

The question was really whether an Intensity Pro would enable us to recognise the stated problems before we send it to the network and look like idiots! If I had known it was unacceptable I would never have used it, but how was I to know?

Return to posts index

Chris Linke
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:14:54 pm

[David Grey] "We don't usually need to monitor as everything is shot in 1080i"

I don't know how 1080i negates the need for monitoring, but if you're doing television work, you should always monitor.

Dave addressed your standards issue, but as for monitoring, the Intensity Pro will allow you to output directly to any HDMI-equipped monitor. I use it in a Windows/Premiere setup, but I understand it works fine on Mac Pros running FCP.

Chris Linke
PRC Digital Media
http://www.prcdigital.com

Return to posts index

David Grey
on Sep 20, 2009 at 4:53:44 pm

ah yes I know, but we have a very small budget and are used to just using our own footage. I guess I meant we have never monitored as our entire workflow was 1080i including delivery, so we never ran into issues like this

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]