FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting Flip Cam files FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ursula Mann
Reconnecting Flip Cam files FCP 6
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:37:15 pm

Hello!

I'm an avid Final Cut Pro user and I understand reconnecting files but I'm having problems with my Flip Cam.

I moved a bunch of folders with Flip vids from my local hard drive to an external one for more space on my computer...
Now when I try to reconnect the videos in my editing project, the Media is offline and unidentified.

When the reconnect window comes up, it reads --' ""is missing '
It's as if the vid doesn't have a name? And the name is VID0001.

I know Flip has issues with file names (if you don't delete the files from your trash can when you offload the cam to the computer, the files appear to still be on the Flip when you disconnect...- recording time will still be used up even if the files have been "deleted" from the cam)

ok.

so.

I don't get it. Does this make sense to anyone?

Please help! Otherwise I don't know how I can work with my FCP project if I can't reconnect!

thanks

Ursula Mann
Brooklyn, NYC

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Fishback
Re: Reconnecting Flip Cam files FCP 6
on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:19:45 pm

It sounds like you had your media files on your system drive. If so, never do that. Media must always be on a non-system drive. It can be a second internal drive or an external. I don't know if that contributed tot he trouble you're having. Can you import (not reconnect) any of the flip files on the external drive?

Have you tried to reconnect each file manually? When you try to reconnect, click Search and then there's a check box labeled "Matched Name and Reel Only." Uncheck it and navigate to the file on your external drive and click Open and then Connect and see if that works. It's possible FCP has internally messed up the clip name. If so, you could try renaming the clip by rt-clicking it, choosing Item Properties > Format and then change the name. Then try reconnecting.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ursula Mann
on Sep 17, 2009 at 9:55:12 pm

wow thank you so much! what a tedious nightmare (manually reconnecting, although it is working gracefully) but i have learned a lot. flip cams have a lot of issues...hopefully i will be avoiding more problems in the future by offloading to an external first! apparently everyone reccommends converting from .avi to .mov before even starting as well!

thanks again

Ursula Mann
Brooklyn, NYC

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:31:23 pm

I just completed an edit using footage shot with a bunch of Flip cams. I copied the Flip avi movies to my RAID the used Compressor to convert them to ProRes which I used to edit. It was my first experience editing Flip files and the quality was surprisingly good.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 18, 2009 at 7:50:02 am

Our COW friendly buddy Bouke created a useful tool for reconnecting FCP media based on reel & timecode data rather than file name ... not free (but extremely reasonably priced) and absolutely priceless if and when faced with the otherwise impossible

FCP Reconnect: http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=41

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]