FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing wma files into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Ranta
Importing wma files into FCP
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:22:22 pm

I just searched and it doesn't appear that anyone else has had this problem. We have a bunch of Digital Voice Recorders here that students use to record voice overs. They generate wma files. Is there a way to import these into FCP? I tried to import them to FCP - nada. I tried opening them in Quicktime and Garage Band - neither of those worked. Has anyone figured out a work around?

Why can't Steve JObs and Bill Gates just get along??? :)

Thanks, John Ranta

Return to posts index

Kevin Hamm
Re: Importing wma files into FCP
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:28:30 pm

You can download the Windows Media components for Quicktime from Microsoft, then open the files in QuickTime and export to AIFF and you're good.

Or, you can play the files in Windows media and use a double-male audio jack like to link your headphone out to your audio in on your computer and record them into QuickTime that way, although you run the risk of getting other system noise and degrading the sound. I've found, tho, that this is what I'm usually stuck with when trying to strip audio from a muxed MPEG2 file. Such fun!

Kevin Hamm
Video, Web, Print and coloring books.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:36:30 pm

[Kevin Hamm] "You can download the Windows Media components for Quicktime from Microsoft, then open the files in QuickTime and export to AIFF and you're good. "

That's a new one on me... I'll have to check it out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Hamm
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:44:13 pm

Um, we did pay for one of the higher versions of Flip4Mac as we have to, sometimes, dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. I mean, create WMV files for clients who can't get iTunes on their computers because their IT departments are full of trolls.

So yeah, they might need to spend 40 bucks. But still…

Kevin Hamm
Video, Web, Print and coloring books.

Return to posts index

Vivian Haskell
on Nov 29, 2010 at 12:16:55 pm

How do you export this file into AIFF when I right click I can open with Quick Time but get no icon to export and can't import into final cut

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:34:45 pm

[John Ranta] "Why can't Steve Jobs and Bill Gates just get along??? :) "

I hear you! Amen, Brother!

Here's the really cheap way to do it: dig around in those digital voice recorders and get 'em to record either wav or aiff files: 16 bit, 48kHz. Then it becomes a no-brainer in FCP.

Otherwise, you're going to have to BUY Flip4Mac from Telestream, which converts Windows Media to the file type of your choice. You can't use the freebie version, because it'll only convert half the wma file.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tammy Briody
on May 2, 2011 at 6:17:51 pm

I bought the $49 version for flip4mac - but I can not see how to change the wma to aif....help....

Return to posts index

Michael R. Shea
on Dec 14, 2012 at 2:55:54 pm

I just stumbled on a better free way: Open the WMA in VLC, go to the Streaming/Export Wizard, then transcode the file to .mp4 ... Works like a charm ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]