FORUMS: list search recent posts

canon 24f capture problem in final cut studio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kerstin karlhuber
canon 24f capture problem in final cut studio
on Sep 15, 2009 at 7:00:48 pm

I now know that fcp isn't truly compatible with canon's 24f function. But here I am with, a ton of SD 24f footage and fcp as my editing system. I need suggestions from those who have encountered this problem before. Apple says, try all the capture settings and see which one looks the best, well they all look pretty bad. I am encountering jagged edges and scan lines no matter how I ingest this. Has anyone found a setting that works. Again, this is SD 24f going into FCP studio. HD 24f goes in just fine.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joel Peregrine
Re: canon 24f capture problem in final cut studio
on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:49:28 pm

Hi Kerstin,

What camera? HV20-40? XHA1? What have you heard that its not compatible?

I've never been impressed by Canon's down-converting quality. Ick. Mush. If you need to output SD you're going to be much happier with the end results if you edit native HDV (and render to ProRes) then down-convert in Compressor for the DVD.

Return to posts index

Kerstin karlhuber
Re: canon 24f capture problem in final cut studio
on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:40:04 pm

Hi Joel!
Thanks for the reply! It's an XH A1 and I've read a ton of different reports (all contrasting, of course) about 24f not truly being compatible with fcp. I did call apple and they said the same thing, now I just need to figure out how to import the footage so that it doesn't so obviously look unsupported. The footage really looks horrible at each and every capture option. It looks beautiful when hooked up directly to a monitor and even in imovie! But even when I capture it in there, it doesn't import properly into fcp.

You're right, HDV imports easily and looks great, from now on no more SD native shooting! I would love it if someone could send me their work flow! I read something about capturing in different programs, then removing the pull downs and editing 23.97 captured footage in a 29.97 sequence...Too confusing! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]