FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED transcodes from L&T show a green&pink distorted image when paused or scrubbed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik West
RED transcodes from L&T show a green&pink distorted image when paused or scrubbed
on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:43:32 pm

I tried searching my problem and found only one other instance where something similar was mentioned. It was an old post and no one responded.

I transcoded my original R3D files to ProRes HQ 2048x1152 2K files.
They look great. They play fine in QT. In FCP, they play fine but when paused or scrubbed I get a distorted pink and green image in my canvas, viewer and on the Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - Raw.
I have a Kona LHe card and uninstalled using the AJA uninstaller thinking it the card might be my problem. Didn't work. Any ideas?

Another question / possible symptom: On my 2nd display, the one I am using as my "Digital Cinema Desktop Preview", when I am paused the green distortion is full screen with small letterbox but when I play the footage it looks about the size of 720 footage I have edited in the past. I am using the external video setting of "Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - RAW". Wouldn't that give me a full screen (with letterbox) image?

Link to screenshot of problem:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2503/3923418212_9ae9060108_o.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Erik

System Settings:
Mac Pro 2 x Dual 2.66ghz Intel with 8G of ram.
FCP 6.0.4
QT 7.6.4
NVIDIA GeForce7300 GT with 2 Apple Cinema HD displays

Erik West
Digital Guerilla Entertainmennt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: RED transcodes from L&T show a green&pink distorted image when paused or scrubbed
on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:49:27 pm

Looks like a 10bit image being forced out though an 8bit pipe.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik West
Re: RED transcodes from L&T show a green&pink distorted image when paused or scrubbed
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:17:34 pm

Thanks for the response Jeremy,
The only pipe I can think of is my NVIDIA video card. Could that be it?
I see the distortion in the Viewer, Canvas and the Digital Cinema Desktop Preview.

-Erik

Erik West

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:49:59 pm

[Erik West] "The only pipe I can think of is my NVIDIA video card. Could that be it? "

That's exactly it. You aren't watching 10bit images, you are watching 10 bit images forcesd thorugh an 8bit pip and displayed on whatever bit your computer monitor is.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik West
on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:38:30 pm

Jeremy Garchow That's exactly it. You aren't watching 10bit images, you are watching 10 bit images forcesd thorugh an 8bit pip and displayed on whatever bit your computer monitor is.

How is my card at 8 bit when the product white paper says it has a "128 bit memory interface"?
Am I comparing apples to oranges? The 2K files play fine in QT, but with FCP I get the Green.

Erik West

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:43:54 pm

[Erik West] "How is my card at 8 bit when the product white paper says it has a "128 bit memory interface"? "

That is accessing the memory, nothing to do with image calculations.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik West
on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:19:32 pm

Thanks for your help. So if I need to replace my display card, what should I be looking for? Can you recommend something that will be able to handle the 2k transcodes?

Erik West

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:27:11 pm

[Erik West] "So if I need to replace my display card, what should I be looking for?"

I wouldn't replace your display card, I'd get a capture card that can handle 2k (such as the Kona 3) and a 10 bit capable video monitor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]