FORUMS: list search recent posts

Settings for FCP to Compressor project to go to Digibeta for broadcast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colly Carver
Settings for FCP to Compressor project to go to Digibeta for broadcast
on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:51:21 am

I have a project that uses a lot of circles and squares and I'm running into all sorts of distortion issues. Now I need to export to compressor and create a Quicktime file that will go to someone else to be transfered to Digibeta for broadcast.

I'm not sure what settings I should use to deal with the distorted shapes. Should I go for a solid circle and square in 4:3 and let it distort when displayed on a 16:9 set, or opt for good shapes in 16:9 since it seems the more popular format. Or try to get this thing somewhere in between? Or, is there some way I can make sure it plays the same way in both formats?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Settings for FCP to Compressor project to go to Digibeta for broadcast
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:16:10 am

A circle should always look like a circle and a square like a square.

What is your timeline is FCP, if it is a 16:9 and if you want to keep the 16:9 look on a 4:3 you letterbox it on output. If you want it to be Full screen on 4:3 you need to do a center punch (pan and scan) of the 16:9 but either way the circles and squares will remain true.

But for the best results the conversion it best done via hardware when going to tape. You would produce a QT of the movie with the current setting of the timeline and set the video card up to do the conversion.

Once again what is your sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:18:09 am

What did you shoot? Was it 16x9 or was it 4x3? What is your delivery spec? Is that 16x9 or is it 4x3?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Colly Carver
on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:42:01 pm

Thanks guys. The footage was shot on high 8 and the media came to me after being digitized by a third party. It was in 620 x 480 with square pixels. I cut it in a 720 x 480 timeline with square pixels. Specs call for 4:3 AR. So I guess that answers my question right there. The problem I've been having is with the pixel shape. Should I adjust the pixel shape in my FCP timeline to NTSC or do that in compressor? Or is that irrelevant for Digi? I'm not entirely clear how the DigiBeta transfer reads and outputs pixels. I hope my issue is coming across clearly.

I should clarify that I am working without a broadcast monitor at this time. So I'm wanting to make sure I get all the specs right because I'm not really trusting what I'm seeing on my computer monitor.

It is a music video. I was not and am still not terribly concerned with losing a bit of definition & picture quality as the footage has been manipulated, filtered and processed a great deal and a little less clarity is not a concern to me on this one. I just want to get it out without any snags. I took this on as a favor and have been editing on a laptop (not fun) and a two week turn around has turned into 5 months.

Thanks for your help guys.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:11:32 pm

I would do a test of a small section.

In Compressor, just convert the footage to ProRes SD (720x486) then bring the clip into FCP and put it on a matching timeline, the circle should look like a circle.

The edit as normal.

Return to posts index

Colly Carver
on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:52:09 pm

Guys, Thank you for all your help. I'm grateful.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:50:27 pm

Where are you watching the circles distorted?
If you are watching in QT, that's normal. QT by default display square pixels.
Were your circles must look OK is the FC canvas.
if so they will look well in Digibeta.
And this is the same if you are in 4x3 or 16x9.
But your post is a bit lysergic.
You don't explain were the circles come from. Graphics from Photoshop?
You tell.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Colly Carver
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:04:38 pm

The footage was shot through a circular opening in a piece of machinery. So I used that as the theme and used the circles filter in FCP in places and also created other effects with shapes masks.

Your previous answer helped me to clarify my question. The image in my FCP Viewer window looks good, but then it is distorted in the Quicktime. I am giving the Quicktime file to the third party so I wasn't sure how the transfer happens exactly. Should I disregard how the Quicktime looks? Or should I adjust the pixel shape in compressor so that the quicktime reads without distortion?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:10:13 am

Right Colly,
Don't worry about how it looks in QT.

[Colly Carver] " Or should I adjust the pixel shape in compressor so that the quicktime reads without distortion? "
You may change the properties of the movie so will look OK in QT, BUT BE CAREFUL because this can cause you problems when you try to print to DigiBeta.
Is just a matter of getting use on how QT distort the picture.
What is important is that your movie looks OK in the Viewer and in the Canvas on FC.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]