FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch Capture? I want to Log & Transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Due
Batch Capture? I want to Log & Transfer
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:13:46 pm

Hello all. I am using Workflow #2 from the RED FCS Whitepaper, however, the original files that were used in the offline were processed through RED Rushes. It was also edited out of house (I am doing the color grading). I prepped the sequence (removed all non RED shots), flattened down to one V track, removed all attributes, etc. The problem is when I go to ingest the Native RED files it doesn't go to Log & Transfer. I get the Batch Capture screen.

Is this from creating the files in RED Rushes? I opened L & T and mounted the RED drives.
Help!

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Batch Capture? I want to Log & Transfer
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:23:35 pm

When you recapture from tapeless formats it launches BATCH CAPTURE...but then opens the LOG AND TRANSFER interface...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:29:41 pm

It is just opening Batch Capture...expecting tapes.

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:33:33 pm

CLICK OK at that point. I have done this more than a few times. You choose BATCH CAPTURE, and that window opens up..but after clicking OK it then opens up Log and Transfer.

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:34:03 pm

Wait...it might NOT if you didn't use L&T in the first place.

I'll shut up now, as my RED experience is nil.

Shane

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:37:39 pm

I appreciate the help. That is what I thought as well (I have gone through BC and L&T opened up). I am trying to avoid the process of ingesting all the clips and then manually editing them in. (18 minute short film)

Anyone know a way around this?

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:57:54 pm

Ah...yeah, with FCP 6, it will reinjest the FULL clip, even if you only used a small part. FCP 7 fixed this. With FCP 7, when you media manage and make the smaller clips, and then reimport, FCP will only import the sections used.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jan Russell
on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:23:41 pm

I am having the exact same problem except my film is 70 minutes long and I definitely do not want to do it manually.

My offline Apple ProRes files were encoded in RedRushes.. now I'm trying to go back to the original RED files using log and transfer. I have made my seq offline and now trying to batch capture but it brings up the batch capture window and not the batch log and transfer.. HELP!!!

Return to posts index

ron smith
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:48:58 pm

yes I am doing the same thing.
Log and transfer is what is suppose to open, but log and capture opens and it stops there.
did yu ever figure it out

Return to posts index

Aaron Goddard
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:31:23 pm

Same problem here. Appears to be related to FCP 7. Anyone find a good solution?

Aaron Goddard
Evolve Post

Return to posts index

stan jackson
on May 22, 2010 at 12:39:26 am

i'm dying for a solution to this. same deal here...

transcoded w/ redrushes, now we're stuck...

Return to posts index

David Valiquette
on Jul 9, 2010 at 4:18:21 pm

Did someone find a solution? i'm having the same problem...

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Rich Moos
Re: Batch Capture? I want to Log & Transfer!
on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:12:50 pm

Long time reader, first time poster. I manage a med/small facility. We have 9 FCP7 seats connected to an EditShare with 18 TB effective storage. In the recent past we had been working full rez on all projects form start to finish. Rapidly expanding demand and a move from EX1 acquisition to C300 acquisition has forced us to an offline/online workflow. A drag yes, but it’s the way we used to do it right?... before tapeless.

All master footage is brought in through Log & Transfer. We process the master footage in Media Manager to Offline RT with the Recompress method. Cut, then prep sequences in Media Manager with the create offline/delete unused media/with handles method. Open the new project that Media Manager made and launch Log & Transfer, load original media from archived cards and click batch capture. Instead of processing in Log & Transfer, FCP keeps opening Log & Capture as if it was looking for a tape. This happens regardless of the OS or hardware.

I have read the all of the very few posts about this error that are out there. I have also tested and retested multiple ways of Media Managing the material. I have yet to discover a solution. I’ve read unconfirmed suggestions that there is a problem with EX1 footage and Offline RT files, but this is happening with my C300 footage as well. I’m suspecting that I will run into this with every tapeless format. This seems to have affected Red users in the past who did not use L&T to handle their footage. The work around was to use Clipfinder. I thought that might be a work around for us as well, but that option is no longer available as the developer has stopped further development and support of that utility.

The process works fine when we use flavors of ProRes. However, we went with Offlline RT instead of ProRes Proxy because when we assessed overhead, we determined that we would exceed the capacity of our current architecture within a year or so given the current demands. Our work requires us to have access to a large volume of archive material as well as current material.

Based on the lack of posts about this and the age of the posts that do exist, it appears that very few people are offlining now days, or the problem was solved and folks just moved on. But I know that there are those out there in similar situations. Any advise or opinions are extremely welcome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]