FCP 7 and 64 bit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ugo Danesi
FCP 7 and 64 bit
on Sep 13, 2009 at 8:31:38 pm

Dear all,
I have a loto of confusion in my head.

When I was starting in video editing two years ago, I was deciding to go from Win/Linux and Solaris OS to Mac OS. I was knowing that FCP was a good product for video editing and I have purchased a dual quad core xeon 2.8GHz with 16 GB RAM and FCP6.

Running the system monitor I am seeing that the 8 nuclei are not used and the same for RAM.

My Apple resellers is assuring that upgrating from leopar to leopard snow and FCP 7 I will fix thi problem, but I am not trusting in him.

Is true or false?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: FCP 7 and 64 bit
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:16:49 pm

[Ugo Danesi] "My Apple resellers is assuring that upgrating from leopar to leopard snow and FCP 7 I will fix thi problem, but I am not trusting in him. "

I don't understand, where is the problem? Just the fact that FCP is not running 64 bit? That's not a problem, that's just how it operates.

A problem is stability, system errors, dropped frames, etc....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:56:14 pm

I would question them too. Ask them if they will put it in writing and see what they do.

Return to posts index

Ugo Danesi
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:44:59 pm

The problem is tha I have invested some money ina machine not fully used. The resseler is assurn me tha this leack of performance (I do not see grat difference between a normal dual core) is due to the fact that FCP 6 is capable of using only 2 GB RAM (on my system I have 16 GB) and is not programmed to use multiprocessors computing and that only 64 bit system are capable of managing 16 GB of RAM and that only FCP7 is running ina true 64 bit configuration.

Is it true? Should I upgrade my system to Snow Leopard and FCP7 to fully use my system?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:46:03 am

Not True, FCP7 is still 32bit. However reports are that FCP7 is somewhat faster but probably not to the degree that you are looking for in that it won't utilize all your processors like we all dream of. We all have to wait for Quicktime X to be developed further before FCP will start utilizing 64bit. Right now it is still relying on Quicktime 7 which is 32bit and almost 20 years old.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 15, 2009 at 3:51:43 am

What I failed to mention however you will want more than 2GB of Ram in your machine, even though FCP is still 32bit more than likely you will have other programs running in the background and the overall machine will take up quite abit. 4GB is a minimum 6-8GB depending on what machine your looking at is optimal.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 15, 2009 at 10:36:15 am

[Ugo Danesi] "The problem is tha I have invested some money ina machine not fully used"

I really don't understand the problem here. The machine is not fully used? Just because it doesn't run 64 bit and FCP uses 2GB of RAM? Your logic makes no sense to me. The faster the machine, the more cores you have, the faster the machine can render. The more RAM you have, the better FCP handles larger project and the more applications you have running at the same time.

And for the record, FCP 7 is a 32 bit application as has been pointed out in another thread with a link to a great article.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1053457

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
on Sep 15, 2009 at 8:30:04 pm

when FCP is sitting idle, it should be using almost NO resources. when playing, seeing less CPU usage is good because that means less chance of dropped frames. when getting into TL sections where the RT effects are CPu rendered, you will indeed see FCP use the processor cores as needed. during rendering, I can very much assure you that FCP will use all your cores, typically at about 80% load across all of them provided that there isn't an I/O problem - your drives are too slow. I could only see this as a problem if you are working uncompressed HD with many layers at once, otherwise any compressed format should not be a problem, nor SD uncompressed with most storage in use. in case any one does not believe FCP is multi CPU core aware, and uses them, I can send you screen shots showing FCP at 600-700% usage on a 8 core machine - max would be 800%. nothing to complain about !

FCP will use about 2.5G of ram actually, and may use a bit more for storing still images. its not really the end of the world for MOST users in MOST situations... unless you are working at greater then HD resolutions, greater then HD sources, and deep color, which means 99% of most folks won't see FCP's out of memory errors like I do.... because I do do these things.

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 15, 2009 at 11:26:42 pm

I just did a test with FCP 7 and OS X 10.6 and it was using 600-700 percent of the CPU's in the activity monitor during a render. 6 out of 8 CPU's. Also on playback with 6 layers of video I see 300-400 percent of CPU usage with RT in unlimited mode.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 16, 2009 at 12:35:38 am

What codec were you using?

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:54:37 am

XDCAM EX 35Mbit

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Oct 10, 2009 at 1:05:40 am

I am still running leopoard with FCP 7. How do you get FCP to use the cores? I have MacPro early 2009 (dual 4 core 8Gb) and iStat shows the cpus barely doing anything, yet there is a lot that needs rendering before it runs at full frame/quality.

Even compressor only uses 11% of cpu when it is flat out compressing. It's not disk bound in my opinion.

I am surprised that with such high spec hardware, better performance isn't seen, although like I say, I am running just leopard. Does snow leopard open things up?

I will be upgrading as soon as the driver for my mixer gets released.

Declan Smith

Return to posts index

Ugo Danesi
on Oct 31, 2009 at 3:25:09 pm

Dear all,
we are talking about 32 or 64 bit, but actually I am exporting three movies each of about 3 min. I am exporting each in m2v + ac3 and in mov (h.264) via compressor

My dual quad core 16 GB RAM after 6 hours of job on this thread is assuring me that it need more of 12 hours to complete the job.

I have exported using a laptop win (four years ago) a movie of 15 min using premiere in one night.

Where am I wrong? Or is apple products that are wrong?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 31, 2009 at 3:35:17 pm

Hi Ugo,
My MBP run faster than your 8 cores.
Try making a bit of maintenance to your system: Permissions, directories etc.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ugo Danesi
on Oct 31, 2009 at 3:52:49 pm

Dear Rafael,
this is my dream (or nightmare), what are you meaning whith maintenance? Do You have some software to suggest me?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]