FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keying and Matte

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Koza
Keying and Matte
on Sep 13, 2009 at 2:04:39 am

I have a client who has some footage of a guy in a blue shirt, in a background that's blue, and it's not even full blue, it's a Photographers muslin background, and she wants me to Key him. I showed her how he'd look, with his floating head and arms after all the blue was gone. She then asked if I could change his shirt color.......and I had to explain about the whole blue thing goin on. Then she asked if I could matte out the background.....and that I wasn't sure on. It's an interview, he's sitting there talking. Can I get an alpha background someway, somewhere with this footage? :-)

Thanks,
Lisa

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Keying and Matte
on Sep 13, 2009 at 2:25:27 am

Not unless you hand draw a mask around him and tweak it frame by frame. It's garbage.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Sep 13, 2009 at 2:37:53 am

Wow, a client that thinks you can do this easily? Were they on the shoot? Did they change their mind after the shoot to key the background? I have some tough clients, but damm. I agree, not much to do outside of frame-by-frame rotoscopting and then it won't look perfect.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 13, 2009 at 4:32:24 am

The good news is it's possible.

The bad news is that it needs to be rotoscoped- a matte needs to be cut by hand, frame by frame. That requires someone with a lot of skill & experience to do, and it will not be cheap.

It might be possible to use one of the Imagineer products to automate part of the process. That will speed it up, but it will not reduce the cost.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Sep 13, 2009 at 2:06:21 pm

Thank you for the info. No, she wasn't on the shoot, but the ones who were, believe it's possible too....which I find a bit disturbing. I've shot and keyed for green screen, and I know the difficulties there, with even having il-lit spots and shadows.....nevermind same colors. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]