FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression of AVCHD to ProRes 22 (managable file size)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Love
Compression of AVCHD to ProRes 22 (managable file size)
on Sep 13, 2009 at 1:24:05 am

Please help me here, I have spent approximately $7000.00 buying the Mac Pro 8-core 2.26, 12gb of ram, ATI 4870HD striped RAID 0, Snow Leopard, FCP 6, and a Sony XR500 HD camcorder...This here is serious stuff, no chump change. Well the problem is, I record live shows that last about 1hour to 2 hours sometimes. I have to import my footage into Final Cut Pro via log and transfer so my footage then turns into say 1 hour worth=70gb. So it obviously is good quality, but whenever I add a filter I have to render and on this machine I have my scratch disks set to the striped RAID (200mb/sec average read and write says XBench) but it takes like 3-4 hours. Footage is 1920x1080, how can I make my videos more manageable for rendering quickly, what type of settings can I use in Compressor with the clusters on to get them down to something that I can work with?

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 Nahlem, 12GB of RAM, ATI 4870HD, 1.6TB & 2TB RAID 0

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Compression of AVCHD to ProRes 22 (managable file size)
on Sep 13, 2009 at 4:18:25 pm

[Steven Love] "I have to import my footage into Final Cut Pro via log and transfer so my footage then turns into say 1 hour worth=70gb. So it obviously is good quality, but whenever I add a filter I have to render and on this machine I have my scratch disks set to the striped RAID (200mb/sec average read and write says XBench) but it takes like 3-4 hours. "

Hmm, seems a bit much unless you are transcoding to Apple Intermediate Codec instead of ProRes. Check your log and transfer prefs and see what it says under the AVCHD option. Also, I'd recommend spending another $299 to get the FCS3 upgrade so you can work in ProRes LT for AVCHD material. It's a lighter weight ProRes codec, but still retains full raster 10 bit processing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Compression of AVCHD to ProRes 22 (managable file size)
on Sep 13, 2009 at 7:41:07 pm

Rendering a filter (red bar on top) on a 2 hour timeline is going to take some time no matter what.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]