FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there an "easy" way to SWAP CLIPS in timeline for merged clips?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Armstrong
Is there an "easy" way to SWAP CLIPS in timeline for merged clips?
on Sep 12, 2009 at 5:57:55 pm

OK, so my situation is this:

The editor has sent me an XML file of the rough cut of a feature length film - with in camera audio, not sunc audio.

I shall not rant. Anyway, I want to know if there's a way for me to replace those clips with merged clips with the boom audio without re-editing the film.

I assume merged clips carry the same time-code as the originals, but I can't for the life of me spot a command that make it obvious to "swap clips"

Any chance you know if this can be done?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Is there an "easy" way to SWAP CLIPS in timeline for merged clips?
on Sep 12, 2009 at 6:28:42 pm

Did you try using the Replace edit function? There is no simple function to replace all the shots in the timeline.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Jason Armstrong
on Sep 12, 2009 at 7:01:40 pm

Well, Replace edit doesn't seem to do what I want as it doesn't match start/end points. What I want to do is replace the cam-audio clip with the merged clip, which still includes the same clip.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 12, 2009 at 7:58:24 pm

So, what you really want to do is replace all of the audio, right? In that case, forget the picture. Just use FCP's "Replace Edit" on the audio.

You find the audio that you want to swap in, line up the playhead in the canvas & viewer on matching waveforms, make sure that the audio is on the target track, press the F11 key. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Be patient, be meticulous, bill by the hour and good hunting!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jason Armstrong
on Sep 12, 2009 at 8:34:03 pm

Sadly, this one will only be costing ME money.

This method would be pretty slick IF there was a faster way to lock the spot or to swap the audio on the entire original clips.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:21:37 am

If the number of tracks does not change, you could alter the source QT's.
Removing the current audio can be done with this tool:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=42

But then the question is, how do you have the new (sync) audio?
If it's BWF, you can paste in the BWF audio with my QT/BWF merge app, that comes with this tool:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=26

Do test! removing audio channels is destructive!

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Robert Mythe
on Jul 23, 2010 at 1:42:50 am

Hi,

I have a related question -- I want to replace the audio on some clips in my timeline, but doing it track by track seems excruciating (for clips that I use several times, I would have to sync the new audio to the video every time I switch in and out of a clip).

The most efficient thing seems to be merging the video with the new audio and then "swapping" the original clips with the merged ones. (This way, if the same clip appears several times in the timeline, the audio will be automatically synced each time).

The trouble is, I can't figure out how to get FCP to use the merged clips in place of the original ones. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks very much!

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]