FORUMS: list search recent posts

creating mattes/masks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jennifer higgs
creating mattes/masks
on Sep 12, 2009 at 10:47:29 am

Hi,
I'm not sure what the difference between a mask and a matte is but what I want to achieve is the following. I want to create my own shape which I will use as a window through a video scene to see another scene beyond. I did this to a certain extent with making a black shape created in photoshop with a transparent background but I couldn't work out how to get the black of the shape to get replaced by the 2nd video track. As well as this I would like to achieve 2 colored & feathered edgings/rims around the 'window'. Thanks for any help you can give.
Cheers, Jenny

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: creating mattes/masks
on Sep 12, 2009 at 2:54:09 pm

If you use a Photoshop document with transparency, the transparent areas will be "filled" , no the solid one. To use it as a mask in FC you need to use the "Alpha Travel Matte" function.
You can just make a black and whithe document in Photoshop. The white areas will be solid in Fc, whilethe gray level will determine the transparency in FC, being the black 100% transparent.
In this case you need to set the foreground layer as "Travel Matte Luma".
More in the Biscardi's tutorial about mattes and masks here in the forum.
Cheers,
rafael.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

jennifer higgs
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:30:19 am

Thanks guys. This has been helpful. Its a whole new world of learning. Can't quite understand why you offer this service for free but so glad you do. Look forward to more. Thanks again. Jenny.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 12, 2009 at 3:18:54 pm

Here is the tutorial Rafael mentioned.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/biscardi_walter/FCPTravelMat1.php

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]