FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help - My pipeline is getting complicated and turning me grey

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Huggett
Help - My pipeline is getting complicated and turning me grey
on Sep 12, 2009 at 2:29:15 am

Hi Guys

I have some boxing training footage that i shot for an intended instructional DVD (SD). My clients audience is worldwide and as such, i will need to convert my 50i footage into NTSC DVD.

The viewing platforms will be TV and Computer Monitor.

I am getting a little confused with all the things i need to do, and was hoping that you experts could guide me.

My HD proRes PAL 50i (formerly HDV 1440x1080 - firewire captured) edit is almost complete and then I need to colour Grade (using Color).

I have many lower thirds which are animated matte and Fills (From After Effects) over my vision and from some of the test exports that i have done to PAL DVD, and viewed on a TV monitor, my graphics look crap. I believe the interlacing is affecting them

So i have been advised after my edit is complete
1. Grade first,
2. Bring back into FCP the graded footage and deinterlace it with the standard FCP filter (Im using Final Cut Pro 7)
3 Render out a 25P Pro Res File.
4. In Cinetools, conform to 24P.
5. Let compressor standards convert it to NTSC SD DVD.
6. Author in DVDSP

Please note, i do not have the budget to send my project out to be standards converted. I do not have a blackmagic card or any other hardware card. I can afford the Nattres converter if this would help my pipeline. I could not have shot this project with NTSC cameras.

Im have a Mac Pro 8 (2.26) core machine.

Im going grey with all the work i think i have to do, but would stress alot less, if i know that i am on the right track with the above pipleline.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Max

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Help - My pipeline is getting complicated and turning me grey
on Sep 12, 2009 at 6:35:34 am

Hi Max,
I think that the workflow is the logical one.
Just about the FC default de-interlacer, an less have been changed (I'm still in FC 6) very much, just don't use it.
The only de-interlacer that works in 10b in FC that I know are the Nattress de-interlacers.
About the graphics, you should put lay them for the final export. After the CC.
Don't add the graphics before the CC and de-interlacing.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Max Huggett
on Sep 12, 2009 at 10:25:36 am

Thanks Rafael. Im interested to know why you suggested to not use the FCP deinterlacer? I have just applied it to a test piece, rendered it out at 25P, used cinema tools to conform and compressor to compress to MPG2 and the conform and deinterlace look great and i am really pleased with the result.

However i am very dissapointed with Compressor. Even using the highest possible SD DVD template, looks quite poor.

I guess i best start looking for a DVD compression program.

Any other tips from others are greatly welcome and appreciated.
m.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 12, 2009 at 11:06:49 am

As I said, the FC's de-interlacer (unless have been improved in FC 7) works only 8b, so your Prores movie in fact is only 8b.
You cab tweak the Compressor presets according with the length of your movie.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]