FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM / DvcProHD Workflow Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Belzer-Adams
XDCAM / DvcProHD Workflow Question
on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:04:01 pm

I have done a lot of research on this topic, but I want to make sure I am on the right track. We are working on a documentary, which is destined for broadcast.

The first part of the show was shot on an EX3. The format is 1080p24. The second segment of the show will be shot next week on an HDX 900. I want to make sure to tell the DP the correct format to shoot in. My plan is to have him shoot 1080pa24 which will allow me to easily capture the footage from our AJ-1400 deck at 23.98 fps. My plan is to cut the show in a ProRes timeline at 23.98 and then use our Kona card to insert 3:2 pulldown when we layoff.

This is my first time working with 23.98 footage. Everything else I have done has been at 29.97, but since I cant easily add pulldown to the XDCAM footage I want to cut at 23.98. Does this make sense or is there a better solution?

My only worry is that archival footage will most likely be acquired at 29.97, will it be an issue cutting this into the 23.98 timeline?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: XDCAM / DvcProHD Workflow Question
on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:49:23 pm

[Jeremy Belzer-Adams] "My only worry is that archival footage will most likely be acquired at 29.97, will it be an issue cutting this into the 23.98 timeline?"

Got you covered there...

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/aja_kona3.php

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Belzer-Adams
Re: XDCAM / DvcProHD Workflow Question
on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:50:28 pm

That was helpful, thank you. I actually just ran a test with my Kona 3 and successfully upconverted 525i 29.97 material to ProRes 1080p 23.98. I also ran the same test with DVCPro50 material and found it to work. My concern is that Im losing quality by converting 29.97 to 23.98 and then back to 29.97 on layoff. But I guess there isnt really any great solution in this situation and since most archival material probably wont look all that great anyway, its probably not a big deal...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]