FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automatically removing "dark" frames

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Wittstock
Automatically removing "dark" frames
on Sep 10, 2009 at 5:11:56 pm

Is there a simple way to automatically remove "dark" frames from a final cut pro project? I'm editing timelapse footage, which includes night footage. The night footage is distracting, because nothing happens at night on this feed, and I'm compressing many many days down into several minutes only. So I'm looking to remove it automatically.

Is there any way in Final Cut, or any third-party way even to automatically look at a frame, and remove it if, say, the average brightness of a frame is below a certain threshold? or perhaps someone can think of a better way to do this.

I appreciate the help. This is my first post to this forum so sorry if this is out of place. Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Automatically removing "dark" frames
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:13:26 pm

[Nathan Wittstock] "Is there a simple way to automatically remove "dark" frames from a final cut pro project?"

Nope! You just have to take the time to do it manually. There's no other solution.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:10:55 pm

Now, wait a minute -- what about that "Clairvoyance" plugin from Great Kreskin Software?
You know, the one that lets you set in and out points by thought.

Okay, I'll admit the Brainwave Sensor ties up a Firewire port, and it looks a lot like a big pasta strainer on your head, but still........

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:22:29 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Now, wait a minute -- what about that "Clairvoyance" plugin from Great Kreskin Software?"

Isn't that the plugin that makes a Mountie in a fur trooper hat bring you a half gallon of your favorite ice cream at the end of your session?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:28:20 pm

Well, you'd have to write a script to do that. Normally, you have to think about the Mountie. However, you CAN set the ice cream flavor and amount in Preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Sep 11, 2009 at 2:30:50 am

You might consider trying scene detector not sure if it will suit your purpose but it might be worth a look
http://scene-detector.com/

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Sep 11, 2009 at 11:21:00 am

I don't think that will help.
I've made a scene detector myself based on about the same principles.
It is very hard to detect dissolves / fades, as there is not much change between different frames.
Flash frames (aka jump cuts) are also very hard to detect.

It is however possible to detect the overall lightness of a shot.
And there is software to do so. (including some stuff i've done but never published)
But it sounds very doable to do it manually if the output is just a few minutes.

Or, if the originals are a still image sequence, why not filter on time and remove those after dark?

For the OP, how much do you have that you think it might be worth automating it?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:23:56 pm

[Nathan Wittstock] " I'm editing timelapse footage, which includes night footage. The night footage is distracting, because nothing happens at night on this feed, and I'm compressing many many days down into several minutes only"
So what you want to cut the footage were nothing happens?
You would need a kind of "movement detector" plugin.
As Bouke points the solution would be points, it could work something that would detect the changes in the signal levels (lightness?). I guess when something happens will be visible something lighter than the dark night.
I know that can be done in AE using expressions or some kind of script.
In the end I think that more complicated than set the picture at full screen and use the "L" of your keyboard.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]