FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Berman
Final Cut Pro problems
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:13:30 am

Hey,

I have been working with Final Cut Studio for around 4 months now, and while working I have come across lots of frustrating problems while working with it, and I would appreciate it if you guys could let me know if there are any simple fixes/explanations.

1. The second audio track in my projects, which is the soundtrack, drops in volume throughout the file once its been exported. In Final Cut it plays as normal.
Here is an example. http://www.vimeo.com/6364560
The first time when it seems to happen slightly is at 1:13, and the time when it happens most noticeably is at 1:55.

2. The second audio track glitches - this happens on numerous occasions throughout this same video. http://www.vimeo.com/6364560
It happens at 0:58.

3. This problem is something to do with timeline settings, footage framerate, and export framerate, Im not sure how it all interlinks though. On this video http://www.vimeo.com/6364560
At 1:01, where there is the fast drum roll in the music, on my timeline I had edited it so that there were numerous flashes between the shot beginning at 0:58 and the shot of the train; there were 8 flashes altogether.
I then exported my project at 29.97, as Vimeo does not play 59.97 very cleanly, but when I played the exported file, it had missed out the flashing effect completely with the train shot beginning at 1:01 now.
Even when I exported at 59.97 (the version on Vimeo) it only put in 1 or 2 flashes with the beat, and they are to black whereas in my timeline it flashes to the previous shot.

4. This is another problem due to framerates probably, but at 1:14 in the same video there is a clip that had been exported from After Effects. I exported with h.264 compression, and I tried exporting at 29.97 and 59.97 but both had the same outcome of the file not playing back smoothly and stuttering.

Sorry that its such a mouthful, but please help me out these problems are really frustrating me and I would really appreciate some help.
If you need me to explain any part of it in more detail let me know.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Final Cut Pro problems
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:47:02 am

For the audio problems I have to ask if you did an audio mixdown from the Sequence menu before you exported?

As for the last question, why did you export to H.264 to put into FCP? It's completely inappropriate. It's a delivery codec, not used in production. You should export in a high resolution codec or one that match your sequence in FCP.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Will Berman
on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:20:31 am

Hey

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that h.264 is more a delivery codec, but even when exporting uncompressed or at apple pro res the problem remains.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:54:54 am

If your footage is HDV, I think you have stumbled upon a known STP bug.
When you use channel 2 audio from your source footage, STP reverts it to channel 1, no matter how the channel select is set. Your mix plays fine in STP, but the proper channels don't make it to the Master, or Subs.
I'm posting a feature right now that this very thing is giving me fits. In my case it only does this when the source is from a Sony HDV 1080i camera master. We have a JVC GY110 720p HDV camera, and don't have the same problem with the master tapes from it.
One solution is to export the audio clips in the Final Cut timeline (before you send to Soundtrack), that are using ch 2 audio from your source as aif, and then re-import these exported clips back into the timeline. This is a big pain in the a** if you have a lot of short clips, but it does work.
Apple techs were able to recreate this problem and told me that the new version (FCS3) doesn't do this. I guess that is their way of saying not to expect an update in this version. So an alternative is to upgrade to FCS3, which is what we are thinking about, even though we are in mid-project, and upgrades can introduce other headaches.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:59:17 am

Follow up:
I'm assuming you round tripped your mix thru Soundtrack Pro, if not disregard my previous comment.

Return to posts index

Will Berman
on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:22:26 am

Thanks for your reply Scott. Unfortunately I'm working with my audio in FCP and not sending to soundtrack, so this isnt a fix for me.
Thanks for the suggestion and any other help regarding the framerate problems and audio would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Will Berman
on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:22:18 pm

Anyone else with ideas?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:41:08 pm

You never say what you actually shot this footage with and in what frame rate.

There is no such thing as 59.97.

There is 29.97 and 59.94 with 59.94 only being used for 720/60 which really is 60 frames per second.

With 1080i/60 the actual frame rate is 29.97 since this is 60 interlaced fields per second which create 30 frames per second.

As Tom says, never use H.264 for editing. All sorts of issues are created when you do this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Will Berman
on Sep 11, 2009 at 2:58:24 pm

I shot it in 720/60, and the then used log and transfer to convert the clips into prores and only the clips exported from After Effects were in h.264, so I dont understand why the prores clips have problems.

Thanks for you time

Return to posts index

Will Berman
on Sep 13, 2009 at 9:11:59 am

Anyone?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]