FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Conversion using Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
meg pinsonneault
Frame Rate Conversion using Compressor
on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:10:55 pm

Here's the problem: I have 2 sets of footage shot at different frame rates. EX1 footage was shot at 1080p24 (which is also the time base I need to edit in, 23.98) and HVX200 footage shot at 1080p30. I need to convert the 29.97 footage down to 23.98. I've tried the advanced pulldown option. I've tried reverse telecine. But I'm still getting the same results: interlaced footage. I've read through many forums on here and now I'm hoping that Compressor will help solve this problem.

1. What are the exact steps to convert 29.97 clip to 23.98, using Compressor?

2. Although the DP may claim to have shot in 1080p30, is there a possibility that he shot in a different frame rate, aka 1080pN24 or something else, which is causing these problems?

I've read about Terranex too, but I'd like to try the Compressor conversion method first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please be concise at possible!

Many thanks-
Meg

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Frame Rate Conversion using Compressor
on Sep 10, 2009 at 2:40:04 am

[meg pinsonneault] "HVX200 footage shot at 1080p30. I need to convert the 29.97 footage down to 23.98. I've tried the advanced pulldown option. I've tried reverse telecine."

Won't work. 30P does not have any pulldown, advanced or not.

[meg pinsonneault] "I've read about Terranex too"

Won't play back smooth. The Teranex needs interlaced video to do a good 30 to 24 conversion. Video shot at 30P is missing some of the temporal information needed, so your video will play with a stutter after it's converted.

You're in a bit of a pickle. You might as well try Compressor, since you already have it. If you don't like the result, try the demo of the Nattress Standards Converter. If you don't like that, try the demos of ReVisionFX ReTimer or the Foundry's Furnace.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Sep 10, 2009 at 2:23:05 pm

Hey Meg,

When you convert, try a custom setting of 23.976 instead of the 23.98 preset. Sounds minor but I had a prores 422 quicktime from an animation house that stuttered in my 23.98 sequence. Converted it in compressor using the pro res 422 preset, but changed the fame rate to "custom" 23.976 and it played smoothly. Don't know if this will address your particular issue, but its worth a shot.

You also have the option of choosing interlace in your video settings. Don't have any 30p here to test with, but check to make sure you're not introducing interlace in that step.

And you should be able to tell from your timecode what the frame rate is. Check the 30p stuff in FCP to see if there is a field dominance listed. If there is, it may not be 30p.

Hope this helps, good luck.
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.7
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 Quicktime 7.6

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 10, 2009 at 3:39:25 pm

[Dan Monro] "...I had a prores 422 quicktime from an animation house that stuttered in my 23.98 sequence. Converted it in compressor using the pro res 422 preset, but changed the fame rate to "custom" 23.976 and it played smoothly...."

Wise advice indeed. That's because the frame rate is NOT 23.98 as camera and edit software would lead you to believe.

The frame rate is actually 23.976. I have no clue why people don't simply call it 23.976, put it is a pitfall to be avoided. You ignore it at your peril.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]