FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP crashes on start in Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Hull
FCP crashes on start in Snow Leopard
on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:10:37 pm

Final Cut Pro crashes on start up in Snow Leopard. (FCP Studio 7.) Is anyone else having this problem? Need a solution. Have tried trashing preference but did not fix it. All was very stable until Snow Leopard upgrade two days ago. Here is the crash report abbreviated:

Process: Final Cut Pro 277
Path: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Identifier: com.apple.FinalCutPro
Version: 7.0 (7.0)
Build Info: FCPApp-906181654~22
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd 117

Date/Time: 2009-09-08 13:21:25.556 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6 (10A432)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 38871 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 9
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 3284 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 9
Anonymous UUID: FF0CC1EE-2B5F-4E82-9AE4-BD938A5ABCFB

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90006ab0 strlen + 16
1 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9470b5b8 FSMount::makepath(unsigned long, char const*, unsigned long, char*) + 140
2 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x9470786b FSMount::_getattrs(unsigned long, char const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, FSAttributeInfo*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 179
3 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x94707775 FSMount::getattrs(unsigned long, char const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, FSAttributeInfo*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 279
4 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x94752146 FindHFSName2Retained(void*, short*, unsigned long, unsigned long, FSAttributeInfo*, char*) + 1017
5 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x947acf6c _PBMakeFSSpecSync + 112
6 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x947a9be6 FSMakeFSSpec + 48
7 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x00188dac pKGFileExists(KGFileSpec*) + 244
8 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x001ae51c KGMenusLibAction + 2676
9 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x002452dc CallLibs(KGLibActionCode, unsigned char) + 202
10 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x00245548 KGInitLibraries + 24
11 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x002455e1 KGInit() + 75
12 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x004130d3 OpenApplication(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, long) + 73
13 com.apple.AE 0x98505de6 aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 166
14 com.apple.AE 0x98505ce5 dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 43
15 com.apple.AE 0x98505bf2 aeProcessAppleEvent + 197
16 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d9d381 AEProcessAppleEvent + 50
17 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94f1deb8 AEProcessEvent + 160
18 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94e2f6a6 HIStdAppHandler::HandleEvent(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, TCarbonEvent&) + 206
19 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94e30794 TEventHandler::EventHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 64
20 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d69129 DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 1567
21 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d683f0 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 411
22 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d6824f SendEventToEventTargetWithOptions + 58
23 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d9cc0c ToolboxEventDispatcherHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 3006
24 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d6957a DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 2672
25 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d683f0 SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 411
26 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94d8aa81 SendEventToEventTarget + 52
27 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94f138f7 ToolboxEventDispatcher + 86
28 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x94f13a2f RunApplicationEventLoop + 243
29 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x0015464f KGMainEvent(void*) + 51
30 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x002c1aa8 main + 54
31 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x00003a6b _start + 209
32 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x00003999 start + 41

Mac Pro 8 core, 16GB RAM, AJA LHi, 3TB Raid, Dual monitors. Mac OS X (10.6)

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: FCP crashes on start in Snow Leopard
on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:39:54 pm

Did you do clean erase and install of the OS and then reinstall the application from the discs?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Rick Hull
on Sep 8, 2009 at 8:28:23 pm

Thanks Tom,

The recommended action was to install Snow Leopard over 10.5.8 so that's what I did. Not really an option anyway given our operating schedule. Would prefer a debug that handled the specific crash thread to a complete re-install. Is there a simple way to revert to 10.5.8?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 9, 2009 at 5:12:52 am

[Rick Hull] "The recommended action was to install Snow Leopard over 10.5.8"

Recommended by who, certainly not the people on the COW.

If you run Pro Apps it is ALWAYS recommended to do a clean install of any new OS.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 9, 2009 at 5:18:16 am

[Zane Barker] "Recommended by who, certainly not the people on the COW."

Zane,

Something tells me you got that right. Perhaps Rick should search for "Snow Leopard 101: For Smart People Only" if he doubts you.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jacques Azur
on Sep 10, 2009 at 7:39:24 pm

You did make a sparseimage of 10.5.8 system partition before the upgrade, right?

Return to posts index

Joe Bryan
on Sep 8, 2009 at 9:47:10 pm

One of our suites is doing the same thing. I thought it started when the new Kona drivers were installed. Did you install the latest drivers also?

Return to posts index

Rick Hull
on Sep 8, 2009 at 10:20:43 pm

I was using the older Kona drivers when it first started. Then installed 7.0.1 and it solved it for one day. Then it happened again. I traced this second crash to the permissions on my Raid drive. Apparently Snow Leopard is not happy with the existing permissions set by 10.5.8. I unmounted the raid drive, unlocked the permissions, put them back the way they were and rebooted Snow. It worked, and so far I'm still up in FCP. Let's hope it stays that way!

Seems like the KONA drivers and the Raid permissions were separate problems causing the same crash at start up in FCP.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:34:18 am

Sorry can't help you with the crashes but I have been running Snow Leopard and FCS 3 that were clean installed and haven't had one problem. Working with FCP, Motion, Color, Compressor and DVDSP all work fine.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:39:02 pm

I am on clean installation of FCP7 and Snow Leopard and it's a crash ride too. It crashes all the time. I'm seriously contemplating moving back to 10.5.8.

Return to posts index

Tom Fuldner
on Sep 14, 2009 at 1:53:03 am

I'm having the same experience with FCS3 and SL. FCP7 crashes by itself; when round-tripping to Color and Soundtrack Pro.

It's like owning a PC two years ago and upgrading to Vista: uggh.

The 10.6.1 update hasn't contributed any greater degree of stability. In the mean time, I'm saving my FCP sequences much more frequently.

Deleting preference files in Adobe Soundbooth and Office 2008 for Mac has improved their stability. Tempted to do the same with FCP, except I'm leery of making things worse while I've got projects due.

Tom

Tom F.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:00:04 am

[Tom Fuldner] "I'm having the same experience with FCS3 and SL. FCP7 crashes by itself; when round-tripping to Color and Soundtrack Pro.

It's like owning a PC two years ago and upgrading to Vista: uggh."

Tom,

Did you do a ground-up install of both the OS and FCS3?

I'd bet "bottom dollar" (BTW, that means "my last dollar") you didn't. Right?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tom Fuldner
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:43:16 am

David,

You have the goods on me!

I've been postponing the inevitable: a clean reinstall of the OS every application on my system drive.

Today seems like a good day to start.

Tom

Tom F.
Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:24:11 pm

[Tom Fuldner] "You have the goods on me! "

Well, I really don't think anyone who has done a clean install is complaining. So, catching people red handed is easy...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Dante Orpilla
Re: FCP crashes on start in Snow Leopard - FIXED
on Sep 16, 2009 at 7:16:10 am

I had the same problem and fiddled around to see exactly where it was crashing every time. Seems it had problems when it finished loading audio plug-ins I had installed, in particular the VST ones... So I copied those out of my Plug-Ins folder in the Library, and tried it... and now it works seamlessly. Don't know if this helps but good luck...

Return to posts index

Jordan Litaj
on Oct 22, 2009 at 10:04:26 am

Hey!

I had the same problem as you. Try to verify disk permissions of your system disk in your Disk Utility and repair them.

Since then FCP7 works great!

Hope this helps,

Jordan

Return to posts index

Steve Pittoors
on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:23:11 pm

If you create a new user account, and open FCP 7 there, Final cut does work!

Only still can't get it to work on my original account.

Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Someone said delete com.apple.finder.plist and re-login, but that didn't work for me.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

Jerry Hartman
on Nov 4, 2009 at 6:49:04 am

For the record, it seems that having a "clean install" of Snow Leopard may not matter. I did a clean install about a month ago, and am still having problems. FCP 7 was crashing a second or two after trying to start the program. Deleting prefs and repairing permissions didn't help. However, after seeing some of the info on this forum, I created a new account, opened FCP 7 in the new account and started a new project. I saved the FCP project file to a common drive, and then logged back in to the old account and opened the FCP project file. It worked! Don't know if it will help anyone else, but for now it's working for me.

-Jerry Hartman

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Dec 7, 2010 at 5:32:08 pm

FYI, I did a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and Final Cut Pro 7 and it has been crashing since day 1. I think I had it running once, but most of the time it just hangs and activity monitor says "not responding" and I have to force quit it.

Apple puts up a great image of user experience and even blocks others from installing their OS on non-approved hardware, it makes sense they have a hard time getting it working on their own hardware.

I sent in at least 20 error reports so far, so hopefully that will help them. Btw, I really dislike Apples policy of not letting developers interact with the public. Talked about closed.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 7, 2010 at 6:59:40 pm

[Elijah Lynn] "FYI, I did a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and Final Cut Pro 7 and it has been crashing since day 1. I think I had it running once, but most of the time it just hangs and activity monitor says "not responding" and I have to force quit it."

Elijah,

What you're experiencing is highly unusual, and it can most certainly be traced to the hardware or software at its root, by systematically "following the dots," as I li,e say.

If your computer was really "crashing since day 1" you would never have gotten to the point of installing FCS. Installing and testing the OS is the #1 dot. Then, add hardware, one piece at a time -- that's dots 2 to x, with x being every single add-on item in your computer, from RAM sticks to additional hard drives, and possibly even the DVD burner. Then, you keep going and eventually add FCS to the mix.

Anything less than this systematic approach will get you no where, and all the complaining to Apple will be useless too. This is science Elijah, it's as simple as that...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:19:55 pm

You nailed it David! I had 2.0.1 version of the CalDigit RAID Card drivers installed and the latest version is 2.0.7. I pulled out all hard drives in my raid array and booted up, FCP 7 finally boots up, then I installed the new drivers and put the drives back in and everything appears to be stable.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:29:02 pm

Bingo, bango, bong!!! Good to hear Elijah...

There's almost always something like that causing the problem. It's seldom a real hardware or software issue when dealing with this terrific stuff from Apple. I'm not a fanboy either, just a pragmatist who likes stuff that works.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]