FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for Video Card(s) for MacPro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McCauley
Recommendations for Video Card(s) for MacPro
on Sep 8, 2009 at 2:30:51 pm

Looking to move up in the world of editing and pardon if discussed somewhere else... I can't find it for 2009.

Question: what's a recommendation for a video card(s) for a two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors? Apple generally specs the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory for a generic machine.

I am trying to decide on purchasing a Apple Refurb with warranty then retro for video and memory. Savings seem to start around 900.00.

Currently editing on a 15" MBP with one 30"cinema display running Leopard and FCS3.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Recommendations for Video Card(s) for MacPro
on Sep 8, 2009 at 5:14:16 pm

You only need a "capture card" for specific formats, monitoring tasks, output to specific codecs, or recording to certain tape formats.
Tell us what your think you're trying to do.

bogiesan.

Return to posts index

William McCauley
on Sep 8, 2009 at 5:45:37 pm

Just display video in FC7, QT and Flash. Generally I ingest XDCAM and edit and out put to SD. I trying to plan for a solid display card to support in HD editing in the future...

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:48:01 am

well the stock GT120 isn't a total dog, certainly when compared to what was in a machine one or two generations back, yet those cards work fine too.....

for the money, I'd really recommend the GT 285 - and pass on the ATI 4870.

for video I/O there are a number of choices like the MXO which can run off the DVI port, or the MXO2 series which have all the audio and video outs you could ever needed... and the ins too. you could take one for field recording off the camera when XDcam isn't cutting it - ie chroma key shoots.

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]