FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film - Digibeta Workflow with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
angel cano
Film - Digibeta Workflow with FCP
on Sep 8, 2009 at 2:12:38 pm

Hello,
I have some questions about the workflow with FCP. I have a film in 35mm that will be telecined to Digibeta. It was made on 25fps (Im in Europe) and the digibeta will be also 25fps. I will capture on FCP as Uncompressed PAL or Apple Pro Res, then I will make the Edition.

My question is what comes next??

The final product will be on Film in 24fps. Do I need to pay attention to something in special? Will be the timecode from the digibetas be ok to make the new transfer to Film or do I need Lists or do I need to generate them at the end? and at which point do we make the pulldown/pitchdown?

Im sorry about all these questions, we are trying to learn here about the workflow and to work with Film. Thanks in advance for all the responses.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Film - Digibeta Workflow with FCP
on Sep 8, 2009 at 4:48:14 pm

[angel cano] " It was made on 25fps... and the digibeta will be also 25fps... The final product will be on Film in 24fps."

Are you saying that the footage was SHOT at 25fps?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2009 at 5:44:11 pm

Are you getting the negative cut? If so, then did you get FLEX files or ALE files of the telecine? These track the KEYCODE on the film and the timecode of the audio, along with the timecode of the digibeta tapes. You need to take these files into Cinema Tools and use that to catalog and manage the film database. Then from there export a batch list to FCP and then capture. All that information in CT is used to keep track of all that keycode and timecode so that when you export a cut list from your final project, you give that to the negative cutter and they start cutting.

If you DON'T have that...then how will you be tracking the film? You aren't planning to output the Digibeta tape to film are you?

(If you ask me "how do I use cinema tools to track all of this information, I'm afraid I can't help you. I haven't done this with FCP, only Avid...so I don't know. I just know what app does what.)

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

angel cano
on Sep 8, 2009 at 7:46:17 pm

Hello Dave, Yes it was shot in 25 fps.

And Shane, thanks for your answer. No we will not output from digibeta to film. Thats why i dont exactly know how the workflow works.

As you said and I understand, is that I should receive FLEX or ALE files along with the Digibetas and the Sound Files right? Then Cinematools to make a catalog and then export them to a batch list to capture in FCP. Until there im fine.

Then I edit but then I should go back to CT?? or export EDLs? XMLs? and if i go back to cinema tools where would be the keys from the FLEX files after I edited ? and what about the Pulldown/pitchdown that they want to print on 24fps? (Or is it even possible to do that?? or do we have to go through outputting from a digibeta?)

Thanks again !!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2009 at 8:31:17 pm

Sorry...as I said, I have no experience with film editing and tracking in FCP. I did all that in the Avid, and that is very different. You will need someone else to answer. The best thing for you to do is hire someone with film experience and FCP experience with film to help on this project. Otherwise you will be mired in issues when it comes to finishing. A little money now will save TONS of money fixing the problem later.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]