FORUMS: list search recent posts

external monitor issues in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noah stoner
external monitor issues in FCP
on Sep 8, 2009 at 1:51:03 am

I know there have been other posts regarding external monitors in FCP, however I have not found the answer I am looking for.
I edit on the second to newest generation MBP using FCP6. I wanted to edit with an external monitor, so I purchased a Dell S2409W LCD monitor (I realize this isnt the ideal way, but its what I could afford). In FCP I have my image showing up on my external monitor using Digital Cinema Preview-Full Screen, however when play back begins it only shows the first frame then freezes. I have checked all my settings after reading the other threads regarding external monitors and FCP.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong that the audio plays in real time but my external monitor only shows the first frame(Yes, the option for all frames is selected)

Do I have to use a Matrox product or am I able to sneak by for the time being with just my DVI cable from MBP to LCD? Thanks..

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: external monitor issues in FCP
on Sep 8, 2009 at 3:31:21 am

That should works.
Make sure that in View > Video Playback is checked "All frames".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: external monitor issues in FCP
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:37:13 am

Hi Noah

First off. just try pressing Ctrl-U (the shortcut for Window>Arrange>Standard) ... this should ensure that you do not have any widows overlapping the Canvas window which might cause external playback issues.
Also, select your Canvas window and press Shift-Z (the shortcut for View > Level > Fit to Window) ... which should ensure your Canvas is not at a zoom level which might also cause corrupted external playback.

Now try your playback again ... any luck yet? If not, is there anything non standard about your sequence settings that we should know about? What are the sequence settings (and what are the source clip format properties)? Assuming its all normal, you can also try turning of "Mirror on desktop" in your Audio/Video Settings window > A/V Devices tab ... see if that works any wonders.

Failing all that, you might want to try the slash and burn approach of just trashing your FCP preferences ... that's often useful for fixing all manner of otherwise inexplicable issues. (Try Preference Manager for this, not only is it good, its also free).

As for the bigger picture, as it were, of external video monitoring, your Dell S2409W would make a fine companion monitor for a Matrox MXO2 Mini (or any MXO2) or an AJA IO Express box, assuming your MBP is one with an available ExpressCard/34 slot. These boxes allow you to monitor your timeline at full quality, pixel for pixel on your secondary display; as a value added extra, the Matrox MXO2 would also allow you to calibrate its (HDMI) output somewhat to match the display, so that you might better achieve the color representation that you'd get from a professional reference monitor.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]