FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Sequence with multiple source clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roi Turnoy
Exporting Sequence with multiple source clips
on Sep 6, 2009 at 12:39:03 pm

Hi

I need to export a sequence with multiple source clips within it.
I want that the exported clip will get the meta data of each clip in the sequence (the clips is for logging purposes).
I'm not talking about burned time-code, but meta data of the source clips.

when I'm exporting this sequence today I'm getting only the sequence time-code (01:00:00:00). but I actually need that in this one exported clip the time-code will be the source time-code.
and whenever the source changes, the time-code will change also.

Is it possible to do it in sequence export?

I'd like to get your opinion on this matter.

Thanks
Roi

I'm using for this project Mac Pro 8 core with FCP 7.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Exporting Sequence with multiple source clips
on Sep 6, 2009 at 1:56:58 pm

As far as I know, it is impossible to export from a Sequence and retain raw TC data from the original clips. You would need to export each clip individually.

If this is for logging purposes, just copy all the raw media over to a drive for the person doing the logging. Quicktime Player reads the TC data off the raw clips.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Exporting Sequence with multiple source clips
on Sep 7, 2009 at 12:24:12 am

Hi Roi

Was responding to your same post over on the Apple Discussions board, thought I'd duplicate my suggestions here too, for reference.

If your intention is to provide the person logging this footage with full res, full quality, full duration media then I agree wholeheartedly with Walter, your best option is simply to provide them with the source media (or a copy of it) and let them get on with their job ... the produced logging data will then reference the original media, so you are good to go. It's just not productive to make you own life so very much more difficult just to try to make someone else's life only marginally simpler.

That said, a simple option is to provide them with selects exports exactly as planned and then subsequently, when editing, you use those original selects (sequences) as virtual source clips for the edit. Drag and drop a selects sequence into the viewer to find whatever log-referenced moment your are looking for, then edit it into the timeline using the one of the edit with Sequence Contents functions (Cmd-F9, Cmd-F10 or Cmd-Drag ... note: its useful to remap the Cmd-F9 and Cmd-F10 keys to F9 and F10 respectively ie without the modifier, as the normal edit Inset and Overwrite functions operate transparently with this mapping too )

Alternatively, if you are providing them with lower res, lower quality and/or cutdown selects of the original media for logging purposes then you can use the Media Manager to produce those selects proxies. The resulting clips would maintain the reel and timecode data or the originals, so that any subsequent logging data could then be used to reference either the proxies or the original media ... which would give you the option of actually using the proxies for an offline edit if required (if you do that then you would need Bouke's excellent FCPreconnect tool to replace the proxies with high res when you are ready to online).

As noted on the Apple forum, the only other option I can think of is to write (or get a script monkey to write) a script that analyses an XML or EDL export of your original selects sequence and then post-processes the logging data produced by your logging person so that it correctly refers to the original media rater than the logged selects reel.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]