FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Codec is better prores 4444 or uncompress 10 bit ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aftab Asghar
Which Codec is better prores 4444 or uncompress 10 bit ?
on Sep 5, 2009 at 7:06:25 pm

Hello Guys, I am editor and I just finished a project shot on Red Camera, the final out would be 1980x1080, I am heading to the Apple color for final color correction from FCP 7, I am just curious as what codec will be best for the final output Prores 4444 or uncompress 10bit... I will returning to the final cut for the final out.

Thanks in Advance.

Aftab
New York City

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Which Codec is better prores 4444 or uncompress 10 bit ?
on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:37:31 pm

Regular ProRes 422. Not HQ (that's for 2K), and not 4444 (that's for footage with Alpha Channels).

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aftab Asghar
on Sep 5, 2009 at 9:00:11 pm

Thanks Shane, I appreciate your help !

-Aftab

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 6, 2009 at 2:03:45 am

If you're finishing for TV or DVD, not for film, regular ProRes will be fine. If you're finishing for film or a Digital Cinema Package, then you would want a 2k finish to ProRes HQ or maybe the new 4444. I expect that we'll be testing the 4444 workflow sometime in the near future for filmout.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Aftab Asghar
on Sep 6, 2009 at 2:48:32 am

Well guys I did some experiments and I have compared the results, I exported a QT from After effects as I was also designing some graphics for the same project. I exported a same file in uncompressed 10bit, prores 4444, prores 422HQ and simple prores 422, I compared which format is best while keeping rendering time, file size and quality in mind results are as follows:

1. Prores 422 (very nice file size is really low, quality excellent)
2. Prores HQ ( quality same as Prores 422, i mean you hardly see difference, but file size increases alot)
3. Uncompress 10bit ( good quality but file size is huge compare to 422 and 422 HQ)
4. Prores 4444 (Definitely the winner, amazing clarity and color very nice dynamic range of colors with low file size and even at 1980x1080 frame size FCP work flawless.

I understand 4444 has an extra alpha channel, but i am going to use it anyways.

Please keep updating with your results !

-Aftab

Return to posts index

Don Devine
on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:23:15 pm

Hi Aftab,

Thanks for this info, just curious, How did you get these render options in After Effects...did you download the codec from somewhere?

I have the newest Final Cut, but I receive footage from guys working in After Effects, and it would be cool if they could render using ProRes4444...can they get the codec from somewhere, or is owning the new Final Cut the only way to get the codec?

Thanks,
Don

Return to posts index

Aftab Asghar
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:32:46 pm

Hello Don,

Yes, ProRes 4444 is a part of the new Final cut pro (i.e FCP 7) and Once you upgrade to it, it will automatically install all new codecs in your system which will also be available for other application like : Adobe after effects (If you are woking in Mac), there is no other way to get these codecs except upgrading to FCP 7.

also remember FCP is a MAC base application where as Adobe After effects works both with Mac and Windows, so these ProRes Codes are all Mac based, but yes if you have Quicktime installed on windows you can play the files exported through these codecs.

Hope it helps,

Best
-Aftab

Return to posts index

Chris Hart
on Dec 27, 2012 at 8:45:28 am

If you download the free pro codec folder from Apple, and another free application (I think it's called Unpack), you can install the prores4444 codec without the upgrade. The details are in another discussion on COW, search prores4444.

Extremism in the pursuit of good edges on the foreground object is no vice.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 27, 2012 at 3:59:28 pm

[Chris Hart] "If you download the free pro codec folder from Apple, and another free application (I think it's called Unpack), you can install the prores4444 codec without the upgrade. The details are in another discussion on COW, search prores4444."
Three years late, but your advice still welcomed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]