FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio drift on Kona LHe

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ajay bhadresa
Audio drift on Kona LHe
on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:18:08 pm

Hi there,

I've recently been experiencing problems with audio drift on my client monitor when working in Final Cut Pro. To start with the audio will be in sync but as the sequence plays (it's about 4 mins in duration) it seems to slowly lose sync until it's quite noticeably out. I'm running an 8 Core Mac Pro and my Kona LHe card is in the top slot and the Configuration tool is set so that the Gfx card is running at 16x and the Kona gets 4x (option 2 I think). Any help you might be able to offer would be appreciated!

Thanks,

ajay

Return to posts index

Michael O'Rourke
Re: Audio drift on Kona LHe
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:12:25 am

Hey there

We experienced the same drift playing back HD (pro res HQ) with these cards in three of our suites, the fourth suite had a KONA 3 that played the same sequence fine. Our tech dude did everything to try and fix it. Eventually AJA confessed that the Kona LHe was not up to the task and replaced, under warranty, these 3 cards with the KONA 3!

No problems since!

m

Return to posts index

ajay bhadresa
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:05:05 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply, that sounds quite surprising that the LHe isn't up to the task! I'll email AJA support to see if they can shed any light on it. I suppose a good test would be to try and find someone with an AJA Kona 3 to test the theory.

Return to posts index

Michael O'Rourke
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:50:29 am

Hi Ajay

here is a an extract from my tech support guy

"I have run a bunch of testing in Edit3 this evening to confirm the status of this audio/video sync problem and attempted to find a fix.
I have confirmed it can happen just going from 1080i25 10-bit to 625i25 8-bit display then back to 1080i25 10-bit display within the one project, simply changing the VIEW | VIDEO PLAYBACK setting.
After operating in SD modes, then switching back to 1080HD, the Kona SDI video output sometimes quickly drifts behind the audio and the canvas video window.

I’ve tried various troubleshooting, from forcing genlock reference, to adjusting the amount of PCI bandwidth to the card, to shutting down FCP and changing hardware modes in the Kona Control Panel, to accessing the Kona with another application then switching back to FCP, to trying both SDI1 and SDI2 hardware outputs, to moving the media off the XSAN, to removing the KONA drivers, rebooting then reinstalling, to creating some media in ProRes NQ (normal Quality) – none of these things resolve the problem once it has happened.
It is a Final Cut Pro-only issue. You can force the problem to occur in a 60-second timeline with just a single clip on it – take that same clip into AJA TV and it stays in sync the whole play."

some pretty extensive testing, this guy is the best here in australia!

So yes, it was a suprise to all of us, we were sold on the fact that HD playback would not be a problem, we were not happy when we were told that there were known issues, hence the immediate upgrade!

Hope you get it resolved

cheers

Return to posts index

ajay bhadresa
on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:53:31 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for taking the time to forward on your findings! Kona support have suggested moving the card so I'll see if that helps but I will also try the steps you mentioned to see if I get the same thing. I'm really surprised that the Kona LHe can't cope!

Return to posts index

Mark Toia
on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:39:02 pm

Hi Michael.

I'm having the same issues.. 3 cards I have gone through and still the same sync issues.
Ok when i start playing the clip then slowly grows longer and longer at the clip plays, Pause then play and its ok again then slowly falls out of sync again...

Did you figure out this issue?

Return to posts index

Michael O'Rourke
on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:37:57 am

Hey mark

Wow that was a long time ago i posted that one! like i said we had the cards replaced, that was the fix! if you are experiencing problems then the issue must still be there with FCP and AJA, can't remember which version of FCP we were using at the time, more than likely Ver6, are you using this or have you upgraded? Sorry this is all i can suggest

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]