FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Burst Generators

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J. Tad Newberry
Black Burst Generators
on Sep 5, 2009 at 1:42:30 am

Okay, time to break and buy one. I'm actually a little amazed i've gone this long without one. I have ye olde UVW-1800 and just got the BMD HD Extreme 2. I dug around a bit, and hear about the HORITA BSG-50. Is it as good as any, or is something better needed, or does anyone here have one they want to unload?

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Black Burst Generators
on Sep 5, 2009 at 2:16:55 am

Aja gen 10

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Sep 5, 2009 at 3:12:46 am

If you are sticking to SD the Horita will be fine. But if you will do some HD the Gen 10 is what you want.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Sep 5, 2009 at 7:07:11 pm

The AJA Gen 10 will allow you to gen black for SD, and Tri level for when you need HD and AES to ref any audio to tri level at the same time all for under $400.
unbeatable, rock solid.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 5, 2009 at 7:26:53 pm

Mr. Newberry,
if your parents were here, I would slap them in the face. You should have been given an AJA GEN10 at birth. It is obvious to me that you have had a deprived childhood. WHAT KIND OF PARENTS let their child grow up without a black generator ! How did you get this far in the industry without one.

The AJA GEN10 is $319 at B&H - cheaper than the Horita BSG50, and it does a lot more

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=gen10&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Now, if you can't afford $319, this is my suggestion. STOP EATING for the next week (fasting is good for you), and buy the AJA GEN10.
And right now, call your folks, and say "why didnt' you get me a black generator when I was growing up".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:23:19 pm

Uncle Bob (i've heard about you!),

Thank you for the chastisement. You are exactly right, and i have surprised myself, how i have gotten along in this nutty industry without a black generator. Though my parents are Caucasian, i DO remember pleading with them as a child for a brother or sister of another color. I had hoped for black sibling, they would always respond, "What do you think we are? Black generators?" I would go into my room and sulk, knowing they were right....but something inside kept nagging at me. I KNOW i need a black generator, and if my parents aren't it, then where shall i find one?

Alas, Uncle Bob has shown up and shown me the light! : ) My stomach is growling, but it's all for a higher good. I shall obtain absolute blackness in my system soon and very soon. But here's the really weird thing (and it's ALL true), i haven't turned my camera on (my current "BBG", as it were) today or yesterday, and somehow getting "perfect" sync through my system! It is still hooked up to the Ref In on the capture card, and then the Y in (to my deck) is still looped into the Ref in (on the deck). I have no idea why this is working...but i am now seeking counseling from my priest.

(in case it wasn't apparent, i wrote the first paragraph in jest, actually admiring the way you chastised me. it's all good. thanks!

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:33:39 pm

My parents deprived me too (of my blackness) - they just didn't know any better. But I have seen the light ! The method you have been using (a composite video signal from your camera) works perfectly fine, but you should hit your Beta 1800 first, loop out of it, and go into your Blackmagic or Kona card.

With that said, let me bow down to the father of professional desktop video - Grant Petty of Blackmagic Design - because without him, where would we all be - and with that said -

GRANT PETTY WAS WRONG - this absolute nonsense about looping the Y signal from the "out Y" on the UVW-1800 into the reference input is ABSOLUTE CRAP and nonsense. Talk about a "jury rig "configuration that has become incorrect "common knowlege". You need a black generator. Even Blackmagic makes a perfectly wonderful (and less expensive) sync generator/black generator that will work wonderfully with your equipment. I am sure that when Mr. Petty finally released this wonderful product, he too said "I have seen the light - and it was black !".

Bob Zelin
ps - to absolve yourself of your sins, listen on YouTube to Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues. This is ground zero for where rock and roll came from .

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
OT Re: Black Burst Generators
on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:53:40 pm

"listen on YouTube to Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues" That's the ticket ain't it! Make sure you get around to 32-20 Blues too!

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:54:25 pm

ah! i wasn't going to respond (at least, not as quickly) until i read your p.s. and Robert Johnson. AMEN, and again i say, "AMEN!" I do believe Johnson might have been resurrected in Keb Mo...but i can't be sure of it.

On to more technical stuff, and not arguing, just trying to learn these new ways of you modern people. I'm a simple cave man, and i know not all of your ways. When you said, "The method you have been using (a composite video signal from your camera) works perfectly fine, but you should hit your Beta 1800 first, loop out of it, and go into your Blackmagic or Kona card," you confused me. And if Petty's "loop method" actually works (which it does), i don't see the real need for an additional black generator. I have dumped out dozens of broadcast television shows (maybe you've heard of "CSI", "Survivor", and the "NBC Nightly Report"? well, i've heard of them, too) with the loop through (though not using my camera), and if ye olde method works perfectly fine why the need to generate additional blackness? (NOT implying that black is bad or anything...)

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 6, 2009 at 10:35:47 pm

Please excuse me, Mr. Newberry, but did you say that you dumped out CSI, Survivor, and NBC Nightly Report on a Beta 1800 VTR ? CBS and NBC do not air analog Beta tapes, nor have they done so in many years.

Forcing a composite signal from the Y out of a Beta 1800 into the same 1800's ref input, while it is playing back, is like (dare I say it) taking your "you know what" (in your backside) and sticking it back into your mouth. The reference input of a Beta 1800 (or any other broadcast VTR) and the ref input of the Blackmagic products (and AJA, and Matrox, and MOTU, and AVID) can use any composite video source (like your camera) to derive a sync signal from the composite video signal - it doesn't have to be black - but it has to be from an independent source. There are lots of workarounds in the world - hell, you can use Grandma's Magnavox TV to view and color grade your shows, but PROFESSIONALS should not do this.

With that said, if you can prove to me in the slightest manner that NBC and CBS have aired your network shows that you mention from your Beta 1800, I will give $100 to any charity that you desire.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 7, 2009 at 12:44:07 am

Ha! Got you! No, Mr. Silly Pants, i did not say i dumped out those broadcast shows (CSI, Survivor, etc.), I simply asked if you have heard of them, and mentioned that i have heard of them. I suppose that would sound like i was implying i had dumped those shows...and so it was intended. Just another weak attempt at humor to keep this often-too-technical (but terribly informative and helpful!) forum a little spicier.

Now, speaking of "spice", you have certainly added your bit of Oregano with your phallic deck innuendos...but they are probably quite appropriate in getting your point across, and i appreciate your willingness to keep schooling me in such things...

By the way, under your inspiration, i was listening to Sir Johnson (no, "Robert", not referring back to the phallic things above) for the rest of the afternoon yesterday. It was a blessing.

Thanks again!

Oh, did you happen to catch my other post last night that my output monitor picture went to black and white again last night??? (serious here now...) i had turned off my Beta deck (while still in FCP), turned it back on, and my color and sync were gone. Trashed the prefs, restarted, no change. Trashed the prefs, restarted...and color returned. Maybe (okay, now back to levity) the spirit of Mr. R Johnson and his meeting at the Crossroads has infected my system?

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
3 GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]