FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snow Leopard Incompatibility With Many eSATA Cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zane Barker
Snow Leopard Incompatibility With Many eSATA Cards
on Aug 29, 2009 at 7:59:43 pm

To anyone planing on moving to Snow Leopard if you are using a eSata card you need to check to see if it is compatible.

Any eSATA card that uses Silicon Image SiI3132 Drivers is not compatible and will cause kernal panics.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

Sadly the the majority of eSata Express cards use that driver.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Snow Leopard Incompatibility With Many eSATA Cards
on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:04:14 pm

[Zane Barker] "Any eSATA card that uses Silicon Image SiI3132 Drivers is not compatible and will cause kernal panics.
"

And, for good reason that can and will cause user panic.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:17:42 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "And, for good reason that can and will cause user panic. "

actually not...

funny I posted this on a related topic, but during the installation process with Snow Leorpard the incompatible files are moved into a separate labeled folder to keep some of that panic to a minimum.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:32:04 pm

[gary adcock] "during the installation process with Snow Leorpard the incompatible files are moved into a separate labeled folder to keep some of that panic to a minimum. "

What does this do however in terms of making a raid function properly?

Also, that link seems to have gone to link heaven. What happened?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:36:20 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Also, that link seems to have gone to link heaven. What happened? "

Works in Safari on Snow- I checked it to make sure

works on this page---- http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1051091

[David Roth Weiss] "What does this do however in terms of making a raid function properly? "

Well that would be a different story-since without connection to the RAID you do not have one, but it should not have affected anything stored on that RAID volume.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:17:17 pm

[gary adcock] "Works in Safari on Snow- I checked it to make sure "

When i click on the link below from your post it takes me to a place that says the post is deactivated.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/Inside%20look%20at%20the%20IoHD

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:33:57 pm

the incompatible software thing only comes up i believe if you fun Snow Leopard as an upgrade, not as a clean install like i did.

eSata cards that use the JMicron chip seem to be time and actually require no drivers at all as they are natively supported by the OS.

I have a JMicron chip card only issue is it only has 1 eSata port not 2 like my Griffin card that uses the now bad drivers.

Return to posts index

Patrick Jones
on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:55:16 pm

no issues with my Sonnett ExpressCard eSata card. I did have to re-install the driver.

FCS 3 - MBP 2.93ghz 4gb RAM, 300gb 7200 Internal HDD, iStarUSA Dual Dock with (10) 1TB 3.5 Seagate Barracuda drives, and a couple 250's Maxtors, and Seagates.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 29, 2009 at 11:30:09 pm

Sonnet PCIe E4P works fine with the old driver.

Return to posts index

James Iles
on Aug 30, 2009 at 3:51:00 am

Can anyone confirm that the eSata cards that come with the Matrox MX02 work okay? (Am hoping to purchase an MX02 soon). Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:58:02 am

[James Iles] "Can anyone confirm that the eSata cards that come with the Matrox MX02 work okay?"

James, the Matrox MXO2 comes with an ExpressCard/34 based PCIe adaptor ... its not an eSATA card. (It works fine but please bear in mind that it is not officially supported until Matrox release SL specific drivers).

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Cory Caplan
on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:00:52 pm

Thanks for this. I was about an hour from going to the Apple store to pick up SL. Considering my startech eSata dock is my new beloved part of my workflow, this would have been a bad, bad thing. (Firmtek S2e2 here...)

Return to posts index

Cory Caplan
Firmtek S2E2 Support says it works... (kinda)
on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:42:07 pm

Just got this response (within 30 minutes on a Sunday AM at that...) from Firmtek support..
..I assume this is with respect to the fact that most of us will be running Snow Leopard in 32-bit mode anyway

http://hothardware.com/News/Apples-64Bit-Snow-Leopard-OS-Installs-32Bit-Ker...

If you are using the 32-bit default mode of Snow Leopard, the existing 5.3.2 driver will work
with the SeriTek/2SE2-E. However, a restart may be required when changing hard disk
configurations.

FirmTek is currently testing a new Snow Leopard compatible driver and plans to post it in the
download section of FirmTek.com once it is validated. The final driver will probably be
available within two weeks.

Thank you,

Michael
FirmTek, LLC

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Firmtek S2E2 Support says it works... (kinda)
on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:32:33 pm

this thread is giving me an ulcer. Although it's been 2 years since
I've used Sil 31xx boards, I have COUNTLESS clients that have port multiplier products that use host cards or chassis that have this chip set as part of their drive configurations. Sonnet used the Marvell chipset, but the chassis had the Sil (Silicon Image) chips to feed the 5 drives. You would see these products from Sonnet, Dulce, Cal Digit (Fasta 4e, 4x), and anyone else that used port multiplication with eSATA. I am glad that people that I trust have posted that it's still "working" - but Zane still makes me nervous about this.

Thanks for this information.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Cory Caplan
Re: Firmtek S2E2 Support says it works... (kinda) Plus 'about those GB...'
on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:42:05 pm

As I have a fully CCC backed-up Leopard install, I went ahead and upgraded to SL. The driver seems to work, albeit in 32-bit mode.

Off Topic for SL: although I'm sure there's a lot of streamlined/removed legacy code, I think a lot of these people reporting '20 GB freed up' may not realize that Snow Leopard calculates space differently--

Before the update, I had about 89GB free on my '289 GB' drive, (30.7%) and after the update (with Rosetta) I had '103GB' available on my '319 GB' drive (32.2%) So though it seems like I "got 14GB", (89-103 GB Free) I only got 1.5% or 4.3 'Old GB' or 4.8 'New GB. Sneaky, sneaky Apple. Aah, you can't hide from inflation.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:52:02 am

Any chance that Silicon Image or anyone else will rewrite the SiI3132 driver, or is that wishful thinking? Apparently the 3134 driver still works. I wonder if it is such a fundamental change in Snow that Apple might not be of some help with this problem.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
I reinstalled Sil 3132 and...IT WORKED!!!!!
on Sep 1, 2009 at 2:49:00 am

I installed my brand new copy of Snow Leopard this morning and everything was fine until I tried to plug my external 320 gb Western Digital drive via my Dynex ExpressCard. Nothing. As it turns out the driver required for this card is now in the incompatible software folder recently created by Snow Leopard.

BUT, out of desperation after looking in several sites including, Dynex's, Silicon Image's and another one I can't remember, I ended up re-downloading the driver (Sil3132) and installing it again, miraculously the hard drive is up again and apparently running as usual, I loaded a Premiere Project just to test and so far so good. In fact it runs quite a lot faster than it used to before.

I haven't woken up from my dream so far, but I'll keep you posted as any news develop.

Best,

D.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: I reinstalled Sil 3132 and...IT WORKED!!!!!
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:28:49 am

[david Cabestany] "I ended up re-downloading the driver (Sil3132) and installing it again"

I tried that here and still got kernel panics any time the card was connected. I did an erase and install on my system to make sure the new OS was as clean as can be and sure the drive would show up after installing the driver but it will cause kernal panics.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
david Cabestany
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:35:43 am

Zane,

Try using the installer from this website,

http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-687-7-dynex-2-port-esata-ii-expresscard-ada...

That's the one I'm using and it's working fine, mine is a Dynex 2-Port eSATA II ExpressCard Adapter, bought it in Best Buy for $74. Not that I really know about cards or anything, it was the only one on stock when I bought it and so far so good.

I'm afraid to turn off my computer tonight tough...

D.

Return to posts index

Chip Murphy
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:51:45 am

I have an eSata card in my Mac Pro and the original driver is incompatible, and the dynex download fixed it. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Zak Wolfinger
on Sep 6, 2009 at 12:40:36 am

FYI - I also reinstalled the Sil 3132 driver from Dynex (I happen to have the Dynex e-Sata II PCExpress card) and...

Install completed cleanly
Inserted the card and it was recognized (the icon showed up on the menu bar)
Turned on my 500G Seagate FreeAgent drive

Immediate Kernel Panic!

However.... I then rebooted the MacBook Pro (17" circa 2008 w/32bit EFI)
Snow Leopard now sees the drive and everything is working. This is my Time Machine drive and TM is currently backing up - no errors / panics so far.

So I guess "they" are right - if at first you don't succeed, try, try again! Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Gilles Guillemin
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:34:58 pm

FYI, the dynex driver trick worked just as fine with my brand new Griffin eSATA expresscard|34 on my MBP 17" unibody.

Thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

wil friedwald
on Oct 9, 2009 at 3:04:16 pm

so do we have an answer to the problem of 10.6.X / silicon image 3132 incompatibility? I just installed snow leopard yesterday, and to my dismay my eSATA drives are no longer working! Help! (Don't tell me I have to connect them via USB - oh the pity of it!)

w

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:54:39 pm

Did you try the Dynex driver?

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Oct 19, 2009 at 8:28:01 am

There's a new beta driver at Silicon Image support page for Snow Leopard, works for my Macbook Pro/Lacie Esata expresscard.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3

Return to posts index

Jeff Erwin
on Oct 20, 2009 at 6:53:25 pm

I suspect the people that are still experiencing esata issues with the latest drivers are using RAID, the people that have it working did not use RAID.

Anyone try the HighPoint Esata stuff? They are advertising Snow Leopard compatability, but I don't know if their card will recognize my existing RAID system that was created with the 3132 SI card. Anyone know anything about RAID?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:29:04 pm

I just put a HighPoint eSATA card in...RocketRaid 2312

Running 10.5.8

Hooked eSATA to a Big Quadra LaCie 8TB...RAID 0

My drive speed test showed that it was running about 2/3 of what my internal RAID is running.

I'm getting a 2 port LaCie card...I would assume it will be faster.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:59:28 pm

The SI driver just posted says it is a "BASE" non Raid driver. Not much use if that is true. (* SiI 3132 Mac OS X 10.6 & 10.6.1 BASE (non-RAID) BETA)

Anyone tried this with a RAID? Mine are LaCie 2Bigs. Still at 10.5.8 until this is resolved. (w FCP 6.0.6)

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jeff Erwin
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:29:36 pm

I tried it with a RAID on my 3132 card, I got a kernel panic while the system was booting.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 21, 2009 at 4:36:16 pm

Because of all the esata driver issues, I am seriously considering moving my drives into a gigabit ethernet enclosure. Thus ending the battle with esata card altogether.

Return to posts index

Jeff Erwin
on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:03:25 pm

That's a great option but it doesn't help people like me that have a terabyte of stuff on a RAID system they can no longer access because of the 3132 issue. My concern is getting to that data, not setting up a new storage system.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:34:01 pm

[Jeff Erwin] "That's a great option but it doesn't help people like me that have a terabyte of stuff on a RAID system they can no longer access because of the 3132 issue. My concern is getting to that data, not setting up a new storage system."

it would NOT be hard at all for you to get that data and move it to a gigabit ethernet raid.

First off you say you only have a terabyte of data thats not much so I'm betting you have s mall 2-4 drive raid, most enclosures of that size also have a USB connection, I know mine does.

If not it is still VARY

Simply connect your raid to a computer that does not have Snow Leopard or if one is not available simply install 1.4 or 10.5 (what ever version of the OS your machine also supports) onto a firewire drive you probably have a spare you can use if not they are CHEEP. Once booted into the older OS you can now have full access to that data and can move it off.

A 2 drive enclosure with gigabit ethernet is cheep to.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Macally/NSA2S350NAS/

Im sorry but the excuse that the issue needs to be fixed so I can access my data is not a vary good one. If the data was that important you would l have found a way within days of moving to Snow Leopard how you can access it.

Another VARY good way to access it is to simply boot from the clone of your old system that should be made before moving any pro work station to a new OS.

Return to posts index

Jeff Erwin
on Oct 21, 2009 at 7:30:09 pm

Helpful in some ways, but not completely. I used Bootcamp to boot vista, which does support the 3132 card, and it could not see the raid configuration on the Venus raid enclosure I have, which means there is a difference in the way the raid is put together. The Venus box does not have a firewire option, and a Snow Leopard Mac Pro will not boot off a Leopard DVD, at least not on my machine. It just spits the Leopard install DVD out. I was somewhat hopeful that this idea might work.

My backups are on the RAID system, silly me for using a redundant error-correcting system for my backups. I also don't have another Mac Pro sitting around.

So, I am going to have to wait for Silicon Image to get around to creating a RAID driver for the 3132 card that actually works on Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

Chuck Green
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:17:07 pm

I'm returning a Dat Optic 4 port eSATA board I got from OWC 3 weeks ago for a new MacPro - which had Snow Leopard installed. The board worked some of the time with 1 eSATA drive connected only. OWC got me a beta version of SI's driver, which still does not work with multiple drives and caused major problems when the computer would start up at all. I upgraded SL to 10.6.2 today, and it's still not working.

Return to posts index

Matthew Carnes
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:56:14 pm

I installed the SI beta linked above. So far so good.

However I transferred a 25.37GB .mov file and Activity Monitor showed a peak of 75Mb/Sec.
Shouldn't it be faster than that? I feel I was getting that with FW800.

I'm running a
17"MBP (10.6.2, 2.8 GHz Core 2 duo w/4GB DDR3),
Griffin Expresscard/34 eSATA, (SiliconImage3132.kext, from the link above)
IOMEGA 1TB UltraMax (eSATA, FW800/400, USB 2.0)

Thanks,
Matthew Carnes
http://carnesaudio.com

Return to posts index

Rafal Lambert
Re: Snow Leopard ExpressCard eSATA Card
on Feb 26, 2010 at 10:54:16 am

hey david,
i had leoprad and had one esata card which worked great.
oneday i installed snow leopard, since that my card did not work anymore.
i searched everywhere and bought 4 cards from internet.
no one work.
finaly i bought one from germany and this one works.
i can install snowleopard on harddisk attached to this card, it works, i can format and install again and again it works.
i can boot.
i can cut videos and write directly to the harddisk and the card works.
the card works 12 hours no mistakes, no frozen os.
i have an ssd hd from kingstone.
my snow leopard boots in less than 7 seconds.

the card from germany i found on http://www.leaf-computer.de it is 1 port esata card calls LCOSBOOTER-1P
i paid 48usd for the card + 15usd for the shipping.

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:13:37 pm

After reading all of this my heart just sank. I have a brand new Mac Pro 2.66 dual processor system, and am receiving a LaCie 4-big Quadra drive today. I bought (before I found this thread) a Silicon Image eSATA express card yesterday. I tried installing it and the Mac Pro (running Snow Leopard) did not see the card under System Profiler. I tried downloading the "beta" driver from SI, and still no luck. I downloaded the driver from Dynex too, with again no luck.

I have not seen the Kernel panic stuff happen - but again, the card isn't showing up in Profiler either. I'm trying to decide whether to take the SI card back and order the LaCie PCI Express card. Can anyone confirm whether the LaCie PCI card actually works in Snow Leopard? Does it use the 3132 chipset as the SI card does?

Overall, should I return the LaCie Quadra? Is there any way to get eSATA speed with ANY RAID system out there on Snow Leopard? Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions....

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:15:13 pm

I have one 1TB and one 2TB LaCie 2Big Raids. With the 2 port standard LaCie SI3132 PCIe card in a late 2005 Quadcore G5 I had problems copying files from one drive to another before a system freeze or Finder case of "brainlessness". Pulled that card and have been using them w the Firewire 800 interface since. They would however seem to work individually with the eSata card, but I never trusted the card after that. I would not think that the cheaper LaCie would be a great idea with Snow Leopard and your new Mac Pro.

I would think that the 4 port LaCie would work, as the driver for that has been listed as compatible with 10.6. It is however quite a bit more expensive. If you go that route, or some other let us know what works or doesn't. I don't think the problem is with your LaCie 4Big drives, however.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.1.2, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:04:29 am

I'm using the LaCie Big Quadra with the LaCie 2 port eSata card:
FCP7 - Snow Leopard

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11068

It is working flawlessly for me.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:38:19 am

I was able to get the eSATA card working by downloading the Sonnet driver and installing it. (Tempo SATA E2P driver - http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=339&expand=&action=a3#a3

The driver uses the 3132 chipset and it worked for my card - my machine recognized it. I picked up my Quadra today, and after configuring and partitioning for RAID 5 it's working fine. My typical throughput is 80 - 90 MBps - better than Firewire, but not a whole lot. It would probably be much faster on RAID 0, but I want the safety with RAID 5.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:05:50 am

Jason,

Have you been able to copy from one eSata drive to another using the two eSata ports on the LaCie card? I was able to run one drive at time (RAID 2Big LaCie's 1TB and a 2TB) but was never able to copy files reliably between the two when they were connected using both ports. LaCie replaced both drives and replaced the PCIe card you had the link to in your post, but still the same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with the LaCie card? I think it comes down to the SI 3132 chip on the card.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 1.1.2, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi Avid MC, Macbook Pro Core2Duo, G5 Quadcore PCIe, Media 100i/XR

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 6, 2010 at 5:04:02 am

Haven't tried it...I only have 1 Big Quadra drive...that's the only eSATA device I have.

I was looking at the 4 port card and it is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the 2 port. Why is this? Do people raid multiple eSATA drives together with a card like that? Is it necessary?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Mar 6, 2010 at 5:16:21 am

In talking to LaCie today, the support guy said the four-port card has better overall speed than the two-port. He said typically 100MB per second is good for RAID 5 on the two port card, but could be more like 130 - 150 MB per second with the four-port, just in the way they handle the data differently.

With my 3132 card (two port) I have the LaCie drive on one port and a WD My Book drive on the other. Copying between them I get 80MB per second, no more - I believe that's the functional speed limit on the WD drive, not the card or the LaCie drive. I haven't experienced unreliability problems yet copying between drives, but I haven't done too much testing.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 6, 2010 at 3:11:15 pm

[Bill Vincent] "In talking to LaCie today, the support guy said the four-port card has better overall speed than the two-port. He said typically 100MB per second is good for RAID 5 on the two port card, but could be more like 130 - 150 MB per second with the four-port, just in the way they handle the data differently."

We've tried every driver LaCie has on their website and our four port eSATA card is just not working. We're switching it out for a Sonnet card.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 7, 2010 at 12:10:03 am

Walter or others.

Are you using the LaCie 2Big or 4 Big Quadra drives? If you get anything to work I would like to hear about it. Tried the 3132r5 driver from Silicon Images site and it was better than the others I have tried, but froze up after 18GB of an 80GB transfer to a single FW800 drive yesterday. It seems to be the copies where it really has problems.

I'm looking at Firmtek SeriTek/2ME4-E http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2me4-e/, and the SeriTek/2SE2-E http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2se2-e/ They both will work on the PCIe G5 Quadcore I have now and look as if they would stand a good chance of working with the new Mac Pro I intend to upgrade to with the rumored i7/980x CPU due out this quarter. Might wait for those to come out but I am getting impatient running these 2Bigs on FW800.

BTW, I was getting about 120mB/sec RAID 0 out of the 2Big 2Gb and the LaCie PCIe card before the driver dumped out.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

josh colvert
on Jun 2, 2010 at 1:17:56 am

Lacie eSata 2 port PCI Express Card with Snow Leopard and the 4Big Quadra - WORKING

Kernel Panics, PCI card doesn't show up in the System Profiler, Crazy conflicts with digi design drivers, you name it, it happened. For months, no one had the answer, Lacie, digidesign, apple, friends and family.. no clue.

But today, a light at the end of this particularly irritating tunnel. No promises that this any of this will be the same for you, but here's how the problem was corrected for me.

Step 1: Install the right drivers SiI 3132 1.2.3.0
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3&os=3
I Know that these drivers say (non-RAID) but its ok if you are using a RAID system with RAID hardware like the 4Big.

Step Two: Search for the PCI card in the System Profiler, NOT THERE?

This next part sounds crazy, but this is how I got this configuration to work on two separate machines. Ready?

Step Three: Pull the PCI card out of it's current slot and replace it in a different slot.

I don't know why this worked but it did. By the way, the two machines were both MAC Pros, one a Dual Core and one an Eight Core. When using other drivers suggested by Lacie, Neither machine worked properly. The Dual Core Recognized the Card and Mounted the RAID, no problem, but I was then unable to run any digidesign hardware or software. Boooo. Then on the eight core, complete system failure; a persistent kernel panic that I had to fix by booting in safe mode and removing the Sil3132 drivers from the extensions folder (system/Library/Extensions).

As of right now both machines are running fine. I can now run Pro Tools 8 on OSX 10.6.3 and use the 4Big Quadra with my Lacie 2 Port PCI Express Card. Sounds simple but I assure you it was not.

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:28:40 am

Okay, I just had the strangest experience... my past actually reached out and helped me in the future! I just got Premiere Pro and wanted to run in 64 bit mode. When I did, my LaCie drive disappeared! I started poking around for new drivers, and stumbled on this thread from over a year ago. I didn't even remember posting, but there was my name, along with a link to the driver page I needed to get the updated 64 bit driver!

Now how often does THAT happen??

:)

Bill

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:45:13 am

[Bill Vincent] " started poking around for new drivers, and stumbled on this thread from over a year ago. I didn't even remember posting, but there was my name, along with a link to the driver page I needed to get the updated 64 bit driver! "

Are you denying that you crossed over into the other dimension or simply suggesting that you don't remember?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Bill Vincent
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:24:59 am

HAHA! I think I have crossed over. My son said it was kinda like Inception. Weird!!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 6, 2010 at 6:29:38 pm

[Bill Vincent] "the four-port card has better overall speed than the two-port"

Are you talking about running a RAID configuration with multiple eSATA plugs? Or just ONE drive plugged into ONE eSATA port?

-Jason

Return to posts index

John Moore
on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:59:24 pm

Hi there,
I have been reading Rafal Lamberts mail which recommends leaf-computers eSata Express Cards as a solution to the desperate problem of no eSata connection to my external hard drives due to upgrading to Snow Leopard.
Presently I do not have any connection via eSata. Having been recommended and buying a Sonnet card as a solution to the old card I have found that I cannot see my drives at all. I use Final Cut Pro etc... so this is an obvious problem. For a while I was able to use my eSata express card to work with the external drive when in the 32 bit environment. A couple of days ago I contacted Sonnet by mail and was recommended trying a SiliconImage3132 driver so that I could use my card to see my external disks when working in 64bit environment. This is necessary for the program I am using. However on installing that driver the response of the MacBook Pro was that now I cannot see my external disks at all. Not in 32bit or 64bit environs. Not good. Also no response from Sonnet client service about this development.
At home I am using a UltraMax Plus which I use as a fast raid on Desktop. But often I am not there and use an fast portable disk via eSata card.

I have tried contacting Leaf Computer by phone but as yet have got no reply. What do people feel about their products? Is it still functioning Rafal? Would it work in my situation?

Also a second question. Can anyone tell me the procedure for uninstalling that driver which doesn't function?

Thanks for your time

John

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
on Mar 27, 2010 at 11:30:17 am

I have the Apiotek branded Dual Port Sil 3132 Esata Express card for my 17inch MBP (Late 2008 model) running Snow Leopard. I installed the BASE drive from the Apiotek website and as long as I insert the card before powering on my MBP everything works fine.

Forget about hot swapping it though! I read in an article online (http://quernstone.com/archives/2009/04/esata-on-macs.html) that the Sil 3132 chipsets really start to freak out with MBPs running > 10.5 that have more than 2GB of RAM installed and hot swapping causes instant Kernel Panics.

I picked up the card a while ago from Jigsaw in the UK for about 30 GBP. It works fine as long as I insert it before I power up. Slightly inconvenient but I can live with that!

All the best,

Simon

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

John Moore
on Mar 27, 2010 at 9:42:50 pm

Hi I got a resolution to my problem. Sonnet I can tell all do have customer service and I am very grateful for that. I was able to get the Tempo Sata Pro Expresscard 34 from them after being mis sold the non Pro card. Thus I have a 64 bit environment workable Expresscard. Delighted with the outcome. Hats off to Sonnet's Customer Service guy Neal who did a fantastic international job of co ordinating that. I am delighted with this company and the product.
John

Return to posts index

Adam Neale
on Jun 4, 2011 at 10:54:44 pm

I'm using this card on a MacBook Pro (early 2008 version). I just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and found that my Lindy esata card no longer worked due to driver incompatibility so I needed to download the latest Mac OS X 10.6 beta driver version 1.1.11 from the following location: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3&os=3 and now it works again. Phew!

Mean people, mean people suck.

Return to posts index

Peter Rosen
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:18:33 pm

Has anyone used the Lacie eSATA II card with OSX 10.6.7/Intel Mac?
My machine sees the card but it doesn't see the installed driver.

Can't tell if it's an incompatibility or user error.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 26, 2011 at 8:19:36 pm

Don't you have the CD that should come with the card?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Peter Rosen
on Jun 26, 2011 at 8:31:51 pm

I do. But I got the driver online from Lacie.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 26, 2011 at 9:41:34 pm

With the "SiI3132r5_1.7.2.0", your Intel/SL should be working OK.
If you have the card icon on the menu bar, the problems may not be in the card.
rafael

Return to posts index

Peter Rosen
on Jun 26, 2011 at 11:52:26 pm

I tried installing the driver again and now it works.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jul 23, 2011 at 4:54:07 pm

Just given Lion a try on my MBP laptop.

Incompatible software SiliconImage3132.kext = Express34 card esata raid5 controller

and SxS Memory card.kext = sony SxS card driver

Now apple really are trying to screw professional editors!!!

Return to posts index

Micheal Jones
on Jul 27, 2011 at 7:03:03 pm

That's not Apple screwing editors. That has more to do with the fact that the OS is now running a 64-bit kernel and such you need 64-bit drivers. Did you have the latest versions of the drivers installed?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:12:04 pm

[steve knattress] "Now apple really are trying to screw professional editors!!!"
Professional editors do not update a system without thinking on those little details before.
This is not Apple's fault.
I guess the Silicon driver is not the only software that will need update. Lion has just been released and manufacturers needs time to make the changes.
rafael

Return to posts index

tad newberry
Re: SL Incompatibility With Many eSATA Cards - LaCie working here
on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:31:46 pm

i had read this thread AFTER getting a LaCie card today. it is working fine after installing the driver from the CD. no kernel issues...yet.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Gabriele Pellegrini
on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:31:09 am

I am using a LaCie SATA II PCI Express Card Professional 4 doors on a MacPro dual 6-core processor running under OsX Lion with Avid Nitris and Media Composer 6.01. Card Act ExpressSAS R380 connected to an Avid video raid SR 5TB in RAID1 "even if I turn it into raid 0" my problem is that virtually any driver lacie trying in circulation does not work. And I have 2 lacie quadra from 4TB and 6TB of one and not feel like I'm And I have 2 lacie quadra from 4TB and 6TB of one and I will not use the FireWire800 presioni'm doing to support the lacie to compile a driver for mac OSX LION.now then that will come out new version of OsX telling him so well that I have problems lose their customers clearly I'd be right on OsX Lion ....... cards are inserted into the slot so 1GPU in slot 2 slot 3 to the Act lacie and 4 of the card Nitris.
Do you have any advice for me I tried to install by opening the package instalation of the driver alone that is successful for under the system tells me that it lacks the drivers for the raid controler and I doubt that is the face of conflict with the ACT lacie but I can not do experiments that I have seen work and above all with the Lacie I have always found it well because I have replaced a BigestS2 a month after the end of the guarantee with a Quadra 6TB by interpraise ........
Do you have any advice for me you are my last

Sorri my bad English
Best regards
Gabriele Pellegrini Switzerland

Return to posts index

Gabriele Pellegrini
on Feb 2, 2013 at 2:20:15 am

I found the solution.
In MacPro I have inside is also a ATTO R380 card the first connection for HD Avid MC and I put in the second multiplier to 8 SAS ports eSata I connected my two 4big Quadra Raid and work perfectly. It 'a solution that I've adotato long I apologize for not having given my first solution maybe now the driver for the boards eSata that several people have made a fool now works but I personally have not watched more and the card removed from the MacPro and put a Quadro 4000 in its place. I hope for you that finally the driver and the year written works ..........
Best Regards
Gabriele Pellegrini

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]