FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD monitoring in field and studio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
HD monitoring in field and studio
on Apr 14, 2009 at 1:35:26 am

I need one or more HD monitors, for shooting and editing. For the sake of my budget, finding one that would handle both would be ideal.

The only line I've found that remotely fits the dual-purpose bill seems to be the 17" LCD Panasonics. I'd be curious to hear from anyone with hands-on experience with these: BT-LH1710W and the BT-LH1760W, the latter with "doublespeed drive, helping eliminate motion blur." Is the 1760 worth the price premium ($600+)? And, with a pixel count of 1280 x 768, is either one "high enough" high definition, considering that my 1080i camera has a higher pixel count?

I realize that a 17" is kind of small as an editing suite HD monitor, but I wouldn't mind using two HD monitors in the edit suite (a 17" "reference" monitor for color correction, and a big prosumer one).

If some of you have the same needs that I have for shooting and editing monitors, I'd like to know what you've come up with.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: HD monitoring in field and studio
on Apr 14, 2009 at 3:25:18 am

What camera are you using? Also, what capture card do you have in your edit system.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
sources/card
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:35:44 pm

My capture card is the Kona LHe; my own camera is a Sony Z1 but I sometimes receive material from P2 sources as well as legacy sources like Beta SP and DVCPro (SD) as well.

Bob C

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 14, 2009 at 5:53:21 am

Bob,

You might want to read the following article by Nick Griffen. http://library.creativecow.net/articles/griffin_nick/flanders_sci_lcd.php

Nick specifically discusses using one of the Flanders monitors as a field monitor.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 14, 2009 at 5:58:10 am

And I'll attest to the Flanders 17" in the edit bay. Very nice. Very close to my HD CRT...better than the Sony for DARN sure, and better than the JVC I have seen.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:55:58 am

[Shane Ross] "And I'll attest to the Flanders 17" in the edit bay. Very nice. Very close to my HD CRT...better than the Sony for DARN sure, and better than the JVC I have seen. "

I'm pushing Bram to add the ND Filter to the 1760W now, but we are using that monitor right now on a new series for Discovery Science and it is working perfectly.

Be sure to stop by the FSI Booth while you're in Vegas. The 2450W now has the 3D LUT all set and Bram was showing me the new ND Filter setup for the 2450W. It is absolutely stunning. We get ours in two weeks and I cannot wait!

Still not sure what to do with the old CRT's but we'll figure out something.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 14, 2009 at 11:23:39 am

[Bob Cole] "I realize that a 17" is kind of small as an editing suite HD monitor, but I wouldn't mind using two HD monitors in the edit suite (a 17" "reference" monitor for color correction, and a big prosumer one). "

Click on the yellow banner to the left for FSI / Flanders Scientific.

They make the only 17" color accurate monitor I know of and you can also use it in the field on battery with a free adapter. 1760W is $2,495 list price. We're using it as the reference monitor in one of our suites right now and we are installing two of their 2450W's in our other two suites in two weeks.

I have seen the Panasonics, even the new 2550 and these FSI monitors are even better. They're a local company right up here in Suwannee, Georgia so all the support and parts are local too.

http://www.flandersscientific.com or http://www.shopFSI.com They're running a 5% off special for Creative Cow users through April 15th

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:53:32 pm

[walter biscardi] "They make the only 17" color accurate monitor I know of and you can also use it in the field on battery with a free adapter."

Panasonic has had 12v on the 17in display since it began shipping 4 years ago,
This is actually common for production monitors. Companies like Astro and Marshal also ship medium size displays with 12v xlr power taps and are considered the best for onset/on camera use.

For a true grading monitor- Cine-Tal has announced 10bit Ref displays at 19, 32,and 42in that offer the users the DCI 2.6 gamma, XYZ color space along with built in LUT creation, dual link/2K playback and they have Omnitek waveform and vectorscope built into the display.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]