FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storybook Page Turn Effect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa Finell
Storybook Page Turn Effect
on Feb 14, 2009 at 6:44:14 pm

I just posted this question in the LiveType form, but it applies to FCP as well:

I just watched creative cow's tutorial called "As the Page Turns," which explains how to create a refined page turn effect in FCP using LiveType. It's a very helpful tutorial except for the fact that it only gives instructions for how to do this using a blueprint-type paper look. I'm interested in making it look like pages of a large fairytale/storybook are turning. I'm editing a short film that is an adaptation of a fairytale and would like to use this effect in my opening and end credits to make it seem as though the story told in my film is part of this book of stories. Ironically, in the "As the page turns" tutorial, they use this storybook page turning effect at the beginning and end of the tutorial, but in the tutorial itself, it only explains how to make the page look like a blueprint rolling up. Is there a template or something I can use that makes it look like an open book?

Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Storybook Page Turn Effect
on Feb 14, 2009 at 11:01:36 pm

Melissa,

This is the type of thing you'll have to think through and learn to create yourself using the tools available in FCP and/or motion, or possibly After Effects, or you'll have to hire someone to do it for you. There are no ready filters that will automatically do the job. If you think creatively all the tools you need are right there under the hood in FCS.

Watch the clip I've included below and try to figure out what elements I used and how I created it. The cover and that back of the book are simply identical graphics I created using a leather texture available all over the Web or at a stock shop such as iStockPhoto.com. The only thing that was even remotely difficult was rotating the cover in such a way that it hinged along what appears to be the left edge of the book. Notice that I said, "what appears to be the left edge. In fact, that cover is just a 2D graphic on a black background with an alpha channel.

If you try, but still have trouble, I'll give you additional help, or you can simply hire me to do it for you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Allen Huffman
on Sep 22, 2010 at 2:26:54 pm

I realize this is an old question, but I am posting this here since Google led me to this topic and maybe others will do the same thing.

From a few hours of research last night, I found one "off the shelf" Final Cut plug-in (which also works in Final Cut Express) that does the book page turn, folding from the center. It is in the FxStudio from Noise Industries. It is exactly what I am after (for a projection effect, animating a physical storybook prop in a Haunted House attraction).

But, it only comes as part of a $400 package, so I am back to the drawing board. I have seen this effect many times in photo slide show progarms, so my next quest is to find one of those, render all my pages ahead of time as graphics files, then export the slideshow to a movie and go from there.

We shall see.

(If I could just make the Apple page turn effect work on half a page, I would be set. I am hoping to fake it by rendering two different animated flips, then merging them together split screen.)

Return to posts index

Allen Huffman
on Sep 23, 2010 at 2:15:44 am

Melissa (and anyone else who finds this via Google),

I have worked out a simple way to simulate a storybook style page flip just using Final Cut Express and the stock Page Peel transition. It is not perfect -- the curl of the page changes in the middle (which a physical book wouldn't do) and it doesn't line up over the center, but it gives the appearance of a book page flip.

To do this, I created two sequences, then put them together in one sequence with a background image, and then use that in my final sequence. If text is to be on the pages, you'd want a sequence for each page with text.

Items needed:

page.png (front side of a page graphic)
page_back.png (back side of a page, in my case, the page flipped horizontally)

Sequence 1: "FCE Page Turn right" (the right page)

Page.png (front) graphic, stretched out to fill the ENTIRE screen (important!!!), with Page Peel applied to it. I expanded the time of Page Turn to 2 seconds over a 3 second total image clip. In the Page Peel effect, I set it as follows:

Start - 0%
End - 100%
Direction - (-90)
Radius - 160 (to make it flat as possible)
Highlight - 20 (your preference)
Peel - checked (what does this do, anyway?)
Back - the page_back.png image

Sequence 2: "FCE Page Turn left" (the left page)

Page_back.png graphic, tretched out to fill the ENTIRE screen (important!!!), with Page Peel applied to it. For timing purposes, I made the graphics clip 2 seconds with the Page Peel effect on top of it also 2 seconds (so just the flip). I will be looping mine (page after page) and didn't want more than a 5 second time between them, but this can be set to whatever you need.

Start - 0%
End - 100%
Direction - 90 (positive here, to reverse the flip direction)
Radius - 160 (to make it flat as possible)
Highlight - 20 (your preference)
Peel - checked (what does this do, anyway?)
Back - the page.png image (front)

Now I have two full screen sequences, one shows a full page that is anchored on the left of the screen (book center, right page) and peels from right to left. The other is anchored on the right of the screen (book center, left page) and peels right to left, as well.

Page Turn composite sequence:

This one is just both clips back to back (right, then left), and I go in to each one and "Open in Editor" then squish it so right is just the right half of the screen, and left is just the left half. That turns my full screen page flips to half page flips.

The completed sequence is a page turn. Here is a YouTube:

Return to posts index

James Duke
on Jan 12, 2017 at 12:50:38 am

It has been a couple of years, have you found a stand alone effect you were looking for?

James

www. lifestorypictures.com

Return to posts index

Allen Huffman
on Jan 12, 2017 at 1:47:00 am

I have never looked for Final Cut Pro X, so I don't know if the $400 package I found still applies, or if there are newer ones.

Return to posts index

Aaron Brown
on Mar 27, 2017 at 3:12:22 am

I was wondering if anyone has found a plug-in for this yet? I am digging around and have come up short. Posted a few other online places, and ran across this thread. Hard to believe this doesn't exist?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]