FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice needed on new MB Pro purchase

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
Advice needed on new MB Pro purchase
on Jan 22, 2019 at 6:00:13 pm

I'm about to buy a new or refurbished MB Pro. I was tempted by the size, weight and cost to buy a 13" but several people have warned that it might not easily handle both Adobe Premiere and an external monitor. If I buy a 15" there's a large increase in cost to get the 1TB storage that I'm used to rather than the base 500GB.

I edit in traditional documentary style without a lot of graphics, but some of it is 4k. I'm looking for something that I can rely on as I have my old MB Pro that served me well for 7 years.

Too many choices. Wish I could try it all out before committing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GW

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Advice needed on new MB Pro purchase
on Jan 23, 2019 at 2:48:03 am

boy Garrett I wish I could give you a positive bit of feedback about getting a new 13 inch MacBook Pro, but I bought one for very similar reasons as youlast May and I sold it within two months. It’s under powered, it has limited ports, and all in all it was a great disappointment. that’s coming from someone that owned 2 MacBook Pros over the last 10 years before that and never would’ve suggested changing platforms . I would highly recommend either saving up the money to buy the higher end models, consider switching over to Windows where you get a much better deal or buying something that’s just slightly older with as big of a video card as you can buy and as much RAM as it can be purchased and hope it does the job for 4K. You might have to end up doing proxies to get the work done . i’m afraid that Apple is not giving us much reason to purchase their products these days. They’re overpriced at best and under powered at worst. that they have merged their Mac operating system team with the iOS team does not leave me to believe that they see much future in MacBook Pros. That They have not been able to do touchscreen yet is another damning situation for them. Technically I know why that is but the fact that there have had many years to fix that issue and have not yet done it speaks volumes about their strategy.

Best of luck.

Al

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
Re: Advice needed on new MB Pro purchase
on Jan 23, 2019 at 11:11:30 am

Thanks, Al.

Your experience confirms what I was hearing from folks I know.

FYI, I went ahead with purchase of a refurbished MBP 15" with 17 chip, 16 gb RAM and a 1 tb SSD. The 32 gb version was tempting but out of my price range.

Thanks again.

GW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]