FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro replacement advice

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Neely
Mac Pro replacement advice
on Oct 30, 2018 at 12:47:17 am

Hello all,

could use some advice on in inevitable task.

I'm at the point where I really think I need to replace my Mac Pro. My existing has been a late 2008 quad core 2.8 model upgraded with the Mercury Accelsior card, 22gb ram. I'm contemplating an imac, late 2013 8-12 core silver tower, or a 2013 (early) mac black cylinder.

Quick background- I still do reasonable editing and motion gfx with adobe creative suite, but I'll likely never do anything super extreme for rendering or gfx. I think 2K video and minimal 3D motion gfx work (with longer render times) will be fine for at least next few years. would love however a video card that can help render (media encoder, CUDA cores;etc) I am segueing into web developer work, so don't think I have to be too hardware intensive there anyway.

I do have some issues- I still deal with a lot of analog media and need to capture that often. An audio input (or cheap peripheral) is necessary and I just acquired a BlackMagic Ultrastudio box that uses thunderbolt as connector (this likely eliminates the silver tower Macs as an option, but confirmation would help). Preferences, but not requirements are 8 core (at least 3ghz), minimum 16gb ram, and a budget of $1700.

The Mac does NOT have to be new of course, can be 4-5 years old. And Imac All-in-one could be an option if it's easy to setup a dual monitor, and can be 8 core +16gb ram.

Anywho, feel I'm in a quandry. Don't need a super fast system, The most viable option would be a loaded 2012 12-core silver tower but the thunderbolt requirement makes that unlikely.

Any suggestions about anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rick

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Mac Pro replacement advice
on Nov 2, 2018 at 1:29:07 am

I have a 2010 Mac Pro 12-Core and Thunderbolt is NOT an option. ☹ I would go with a used iMac 27". The iMac 5K's were really nice and I tried one in the Apple store editing 4K on FCP X and it was like butter. Not sure how Adobe apps would do thought since they are not optimized like FCP X is and iMacs don't do CUDA... but the 5K display is absolutely gorgeous! (and the have Thunderbolt) Best bang for the buck.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]