FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renaming External Drives

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
David Dean
Renaming External Drives
on Oct 6, 2018 at 10:50:07 pm

Hi - I’m an editor working in Premiere Pro, and I’ve been given a 10TB hard drive to work with. Months later, I’ve discovered that it was originally formatted in Mac OS Journaled, which didn’t affect my work, but now the 6TB of media has to be copied onto a shuttle drive for finishing, and that drive has to be formatted for ExFAT. I’ve successfully copied all the material to a drive that I formatted with ExFAT in Disk Utility, but now I can’t rename it to match the name of the 10TB one, which is crucial because when the finishing editor opens the project, it’s going to be looking for files on a drive with that name. The reason I can’t change it, according to the error message, is that there are “too many characters.” The name on the original drive is (paraphrasing) XX XXXX XXXXXXX, which, granted, is more characters than I would have chosen. But the new drive won’t let me call it that. If one drive could be named that way, why can’t a second? Or are there different naming parameters for differently-formatted drives? Thank you so much in advance…

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Renaming External Drives
on Oct 7, 2018 at 8:47:29 am

Drive name can be different

(Optionally: Do an export of your final sequence - ideally with BITC - so you have a reference.)

Export your finalsequence ‘as premiere pro project’

Close your PP project.

Hide your original media by unmounting the drive, or renaming with xx as start so PP will not see it.

Open the final sequence project in PP & it will prompt you to relink media. Find the first clip and it should find the others. You may have issues if you have multiple clips with the same name.

Save that and put it on drive with media.

Return to posts index

David Dean
on Oct 7, 2018 at 1:10:40 pm

Good morning, Trevor - thank you for your quick response. I will proceed with this relinking process if I need to. But taking Premiere out of the equation, is there indeed a technical reason why I can't rename a second, identical G-Drive HD with the same number of characters (13, plus two spaces) as the source G-Drive? The only differences appear to be that the second drive is ExFAT (and it has to be), and maybe that the source drive was formatted on a High Sierra computer and I only have Sierra on my system. Thank you!

Return to posts index

David Dean
on Oct 7, 2018 at 2:59:57 pm

Hi, all - I've just gotten off the phone with Apple, and no, it isn't possible with a different drive formatting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]