FORUMS: list search recent posts

iTunes not working with AppleTV/Airplay

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Erikson
iTunes not working with AppleTV/Airplay
on Sep 20, 2018 at 1:35:55 pm

Hi everyone! At the studio where I work, we will play our sizzle reel through iTunes into an AppleTV that connects to my workstation through AirPlay. We just recently started having an issue where it says that the AppleTV is busy, and it gives a "pinwheel of death" whenever we try to send video to it. We've tried restarting both my workstation and the AppleTV, but to no avail. Usually Apple products work very well together, has anyone had this issue before, or have any idea what might be causing this kind of a problem? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: iTunes not working with AppleTV/Airplay
on Sep 27, 2018 at 12:10:19 pm

I've never had any problems like this with my Apple TV. I would recommend that you check the Apple TV for software updates and make sure that you are running at the latest levels of tvOS.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: iTunes not working with AppleTV/Airplay
on Sep 29, 2018 at 8:36:47 pm

Hi -
this is just a guess. Many network issues are more complicated then just "ok - just click on this and you will be ok".

I have a router (used to be Apple Airport Extreme, now it's a Synology RT2600ac), which connects to multiple Apple Airport Express boxes as repeaters. I have 3 Apple TV's. ONE of the Apple TV's gets its ethernet internet connection from one of the Apple Airport Express boxes. Within the last 6 months, this Apple Airport Express (which connects via WiFi, not hard wired internet) - ALWAYS loses the connection (every couple of days). The only reason I even know this, is because I cannot get that Apple TV to work in that one room. IF you go into the Apple TV Menus (using the remote, not your phone or iPad) - you can see that it says "no network found". So I UNPLUG the Apple Airport Express, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in, let it reset, and all of a sudden, the Apple TV now has it's ethernet internet connection, and then it works again.

In a professional environment, this is unacceptable. Things have to work.
SO -
1) run a WIRED Ethernet signal to that Apple TV, don't allow for WiFi access (you say "well, that's almost impossible" - well, make it possible
2) Apple Airports and Apple TV's are old technology, and have become unreliable (you say "well - it used to be reliable at one time") - well, things change.

My other Airport Express repeaters and Apple TV's get a wired connection from a central 1G switch. Never have any issues with those.

If WiFi connection becomes a "must" - get rid of your Apple WiFi network, and switch to a modern 1G "ac" WiFi network that is a MESH wireless network (like from Netgear, Ubiquiti, and others).

You say "I don't want to spend any money - I just want my old stuff to work" -

welcome to the world of electronics. I go thru this, everyone goes thru this. Tough noogies.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]