FORUMS: list search recent posts

External disk doesn't show on desktop

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Greening
External disk doesn't show on desktop
on Jun 15, 2018 at 10:23:07 pm

Hello,

I just recently downgraded the OS on an older Mac Pro from Lion (10.7.4) to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to run Final Cut Studio again. My external SATA drive doesn't show up on the desktop but the same drive shows up on another Mac Pro using OS Sierra (10.12.6). On the Snow Leopard Mac I have a Tempo SATA PCI card and everything seemed fine a few years ago when I was using this exact same setup on the same machine. The Tempo install instructions state that there is no need for a separate driver for the card and that the OS should recognize the external drive. Have I overlooked something? Suggestions are welcome.

- Don

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: External disk doesn't show on desktop
on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:02:42 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:09:33 pm

That's very odd. Have you tried plugging the drive in before you turn the Mac on. Sometimes my eSATA drives don't get recognized when I plug them in after the Mac is running even though this should work.

Also, how is the disk formatted? Is it HFS+ (which should always be recognized) or perhaps NTFS and you had NTFS drivers installed on Lion that aren't on Snow Leopard? Just trying to guess what might be wrong.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: External disk doesn't show on desktop
on Jun 18, 2018 at 9:25:36 pm
Last Edited By Don Greening on Jun 18, 2018 at 10:13:13 pm

John,
I appreciate the the fact that you are helping me brainstorm. The external G-Raid is HFS+ and I always start the externals before starting the computer. As I mentioned previously, it shows up fine on my 2012 Mac Pro running Sierra as does everything else. My next task will be to drag the Mac Pro into the light and try re-seating the SATA PCI card. I even went into preferences and made sure that all external drives show up on the desktop. Again, thank you very much for your efforts to help. The sleuthing continues....

- Don

Update: I just used an external FireWire drive with OS 10.7.5 Lion to restart the Mac Pro and the G-Raid SATA disk showed up on the desktop right away. So, the drive shows up with OS 10.7.5 but not with OS 10.6.8. Weird. Originally, when the computer was running 10.6.8 there was no issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]