FORUMS: list search recent posts

macOS High Sierra

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Robert Withers
Re: macOS High Sierra
on Sep 26, 2017 at 2:57:58 am

Does this mean High Sierra won't work with any of my external spinning disks? That would be a nogo. Or just that the installation needs to be working on an SSD?
I hate having to buy hardware to work with fashionable software.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Sep 26, 2017 at 2:59:59 am

I am always in the middle of a project. That's the kind of work I do.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 26, 2017 at 11:08:53 am

I believe HS will install. It just won’t reformat your drive to APFS.

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 26, 2017 at 1:02:32 pm

[Robert Withers] "Does this mean High Sierra won't work with any of my external spinning disks? That would be a nogo. Or just that the installation needs to be working on an SSD?"
High Sierra introduces a new filesystem called APFS which is a faster new 64bit file system that is specifically designed to work with SSDs and is already used by iOS. If you have an SSD as your boot drive, it will automatically be upgraded to this new filesystem. If you have an HDD or Fusion drive you will be prompted as to whether or not you want to convert it. This has no negative affects on any previous filesystem drives as they are all still supported. The only scenario that this would affect, is if you "dual boot" from other drives. The older macOS would not be able to read the APFS drive, which is something to consider for people who do this. Other than that, having APFS as your boot drive should have no negative effect. You can still use and format other drives as HPFS just like you always did.

The best advice from that article is one that I always give: Before any OS upgrade, make a clone of your hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner to an external drive. If everything does go horribly wrong... boot from the backup, reformat and restore your old OS. No harm done (just time lost).

The biggest unknown for Musicians, Video Editors, and Graphic Designers is: Do all of my plug-ins work? I would wait a while for manufacturers to confirm that the plug-ins you care about will continue to work on High Sierra.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 1, 2017 at 6:40:46 pm

Some more:

https://bombich.com/blog/2017/09/29/think-twice-before-encrypting-your-hfs-...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Oct 12, 2017 at 9:10:15 am

Does this mean High Sierra won't work with any of my external spinning disks? That would be a nogo. Or just that the installation needs to be working on an SSD?
I hate having to buy hardware to work with fashionable software.

Sheesh. I don't know where people get so much FUD from, let alone why people love Apple bashing without any facts to back it up.

Of COURSE High Sierra works with spinning disks. Of COURSE APFS works with spinning disks.

Sheesh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]