FORUMS: list search recent posts

imac storage and video editing.

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Kendall
imac storage and video editing.
on Jul 11, 2017 at 1:13:32 am

Hi
this may be more for computer forum, but I thought i ask here since about mac for editing.

I am considering buying a 5k imac for photo and video editing. I have decided on what config except the storage.
My current pc has the fusion type configuration. it works out well. I just am not sure if I want to do an all ssd or the 2T fusion drive.

pros of Fusion:
fast ssd and large storage
internal storage

Cons:
2 linked drives
when unlinking formats the drives and I lose everything even os?

With unlinked drives then I can know were I am saving projects an files. I like to use SSD as scratch disk. I understand the fusion drive does this but I prefer to just save my project destination were I want it on SSD and know my project will be working from there.

Pros of SSD only
larger ssd storage than fusion
dead silent

Cons SSD only
using external drives for video storage.

I have a Samsung SSD EVO 250. possibly I could get 2T fusion (128 SSD) then use Samsung as extra for scratch disk and project files.

Any suggestions or detailed information on method appreciated

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: imac storage and video editing.
on Jul 11, 2017 at 12:10:13 pm

After reading your post, it sound like you want to be in control of where your data is placed (because you obviously have a Fusion drive and know how well it works) so I would recommend that you get a regular SSD.

I would not unlink the Fusion drive. The SSD isn't very big in a Fusion drive so you might be disappointed with the size once you unlink them. I believe the 1 TB Fusion drive only has a 24GB SSD and the 2-3 TB Fusions use 128GB SSDs. The true SSDs are 256 GB, 512 GB & 1TB.

I always use external drives for all of my video assets. The argument about external vs internal drives made sense back in the day when external I/O was much slower than the internal Bus. With Thunderbolt 3 that is no longer the case so who cares where the physical storage is? It performs the same inside or out (ok, maybe the internal SSD is faster but you get the idea).

It sounds like you will only be happy with an SSD so that you can control where data is placed so just go for it. Buy a Thunderbolt external drive and place it behind the iMac and pretend that it's really inside and be happy. :-D

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Kendall
on Jul 11, 2017 at 6:09:03 pm

Thanks John Rofrano for your reply.

Do you think that 256 will be fine for apps I will be using? seems all apple apps are around under 8GB each.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 12, 2017 at 3:24:39 am

It really depends on what else you will use the computer for. On my main Mac Pro I have about 58GB of music and 57GB of photos so right there is about 115GB. If I had a 256GB drive I'd be down to 141GB without any apps. If you don't have a large music or photo library you should be fine with 256GB.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Aug 20, 2017 at 5:37:02 am

If I had a 256 GB SDD ....

Oh, wait - I do!
I have one on my 2011 MBA!
Actually, it is only 128 GB, ..... very small..., and I fill it all the way up.

FCP X, Motion, Ableton Live, Logic Pro X, and a few HD utilities.
And all there included files

AND

I keep my music and my Photos on external devices.
Also makes it easy to switch that over to my iMac 2012.

So, 256 GB could do it.

I am considering either adding or replacing the drive in my iMac 2012 with a SSD.
It may be just the thing to give it new life and get rendering and compressing faster.

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]