FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple 10.8.5 - iOS 10.2.1 - itunes 12.6.1

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Apple 10.8.5 - iOS 10.2.1 - itunes 12.6.1
on Jun 30, 2017 at 5:15:22 pm

Will these work together? I've heard of folks unable to backup their iphones to certain versions of itunes.
I keep turning down the update prompts but it gets annoying.
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Apple 10.8.5 - iOS 10.2.1 - itunes 12.6.1
on Jul 1, 2017 at 11:45:18 am

The latest iOS is 10.3.2 so you are behind with 10.2.1. The latest iTunes 12.6.1 works great with it.

I back my iPhone 6 up to iCloud and never worry about iTunes versions anymore. The only thing I use iTunes for is backing up my music and photos. Everything else (which is basically just contacts, calendar, and apps) is backed up to iCloud. I just had my iPhone 6 replaced by Apple last week because of a bulging battery and it was restored before I left the Apple Store except for my music and photos which I synced when I got home. Everything went very smoothly.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jul 1, 2017 at 4:14:33 pm

Thanks, John, but I need help or information with the Mac OS I have, the iphone I have, and the itunes and ios that I'm being prompted to upgrade to, not other software or hardware I don't have.
I take your point about the cloud as an alternative to a machine backup. I guess I have to get over my paranoia about having my personal data in Apple's cloud.
BTW, the reason I'm using MacOS 10.8.5 is because I'm working on a multi-year film project that I already migrated once with some issues and don't want to change OS and NLE versions till it's finished.
Best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 3, 2017 at 12:20:43 pm

[Robert Withers] "I need help or information with the Mac OS I have, the iphone I have, and the itunes and ios that I'm being prompted to upgrade to, not other software or hardware I don't have."
Well... if you update your iPhone to 10.3.2 then you will have two out of the three that I mentioned. You are already on iOS 10 so going from 10.2 to 10.3 should be a non-event. In fact, I thought one of the reasons that 10.3 was released was to patch a security vulnerability so you really should keep your iPhone at the latest levels to ensure that it can't be hacked.
[Robert Withers] "I take your point about the cloud as an alternative to a machine backup. I guess I have to get over my paranoia about having my personal data in Apple's cloud."
The only personal data is really your contacts. Apple does not store your passwords in the cloud so one thing that I had to do when I restored my iPhone was re-enter all of my passwords in all of my apps including pin numbers for credit cards in Apple Pay. I have two factor authentication on my iCloud account so if someone tries to break in from another device, it will prompt me to allow it from my iPhone (which of course I won't) so I could give someone my iCloud password and they still can't login to my account because they need the "second factor" which is a physical device. It makes your iCloud account more secure. All of the data in iCloud is encrypted so that Apple cannot read it even though they own the cloud servers. I understand the fear of keeping personal data in the cloud but Apple is pretty good about security and encryption. If you pay taxes in the US, all of your "really personal" data is on IRS servers that are probably way easier to hack than Apple's cloud. lol.
[Robert Withers] "BTW, the reason I'm using MacOS 10.8.5 is because I'm working on a multi-year film project that I already migrated once with some issues and don't want to change OS and NLE versions till it's finished."
Understandable. I keep a 10.6 Snow Leopard partition around so I can use DVD Studio Pro because Apple's demise of the DVD has been greatly exaggerated. 😉 One option is to have a separate partition for older programs so that you can use a modern OS for your life while using an older OS for work.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jul 3, 2017 at 3:14:16 pm

Thanks so much John. I've been refraining from updating my iphone 5s to 10.2.1 as it keeps prompting me because I know people who at one point in time could no longer backup or synchronize their phones to an itunes version.
I have ignored the prompt to update itunes from 12.3.3 to 12.6.1 for the same reason.
But maybe this was a temporary incompatibility that doesn't effect the newer versions.

Thanks too for your info about the Apple "cloud" online server. I see this is a possible back up for possible ios/itunes incompatibilities.
I don't think the IRS has my contact list, but as we now know many servers can be hacked.
Maybe Apple is more fortified than the government -- I could believe that.

All best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]