FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac 5K kernel panic with AME

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Duncan
iMac 5K kernel panic with AME
on Jun 7, 2017 at 6:18:10 pm
Last Edited By Will Duncan on Jun 7, 2017 at 6:19:49 pm

I came up short digging into this issue with Google and didn't even bother to call Apple for support, so I figured I'd drop a post in here to see if anybody else is seeing this problem or might be able to help diagnose.

I have a new iMac running Sierra with a fresh Adobe install (we built it out yesterday), and anytime we attempt to do anything while Media Encoder is processing something, it crashes and spits up the kernel panic multi language screen. I'll be migrating data via finder or using rsync and if AME starts doing something it tanks. Various cameras and codecs being processed. I don't notice a correlation yet.

iMac, late 2015 running 10.12.4
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
Adobe Media Encoder 2017, 11.1.0.170

I have a number of Mac Pros and iMacs running the same OS and software without issue. The last few iMacs we've added seem to be plagued with issues.

The only external hardware is Atto 10GbE cards attached via Sonnet Thunderbolt problems. I haven't disconnect those to rule out issues but I have over 20 edit bays running on them without an issue, most of those are on El Cap though.

Now I could only encode, but we're low on spare machines at the moment and losing a computer for a day to a single tasks adds a lot of hours to projects.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: iMac 5K kernel panic with AME
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:58:57 am

I'm seeing this issue at random on a Mac Pro when rendering r3d to either h264 or prores. There initially was some correlation with the render hitting 8K footage from an epic-w but the last couple of times it's been at random.

Complete system crash, system report says kernel panic.

Interestingly, rendering the same footage in either redcineX or fcpx doesn't cause a system crash.

Footage stored on gtech studio xl via thunderbolt 2, and can be outputting to desktop or raid for crash to happen. Running latest OS. Tonnes of space on raid and desktop. Latest version of media encoder and premiere.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]