FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Cinema Display 30"

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pam Picard
Apple Cinema Display 30"
on May 28, 2017 at 2:23:18 pm

Hello,

I have an Apple Cinema Display 30" and I would like to upgrade the computer for this monitor (I currently have a very old MacPro that will no longer accept Apple updates). As this is a backup machine, I did not want to invest the $ in new MacPro but curious if a Mac Mini is an option and will the display be fully utilized on a Mac Mini or will it be scaled down?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Apple Cinema Display 30"
on May 29, 2017 at 2:09:22 pm

[Pam Picard] "I did not want to invest the $ in new MacPro but curious if a Mac Mini is an option and will the display be fully utilized on a Mac Mini or will it be scaled down?"
A new Mac Mini can produce much higher resolution that an old Apple Cinema Display 30" so the question is not if the display will be fully utilized but will the Mac Mini be fully utilized. 😉

The Apple Cinema Display 30" is capable of 2560x1600 and the Mac Mini can support up to 4096x2160 so yes, your Cinema Display will be fully utilized. You will need to purchase a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter because the Mac Mini has newer Mini DisplayPort connections and your Cinema Display has older DVI connections.

You might also want to consider purchasing a used 2010 Mac Pro (that's what I have). It still runs the latest macOS Sierra and you can probably reuse all of the hard drives and such from your old Mac Pro. OWC has a nice selection of refurbished Mac Pro's to choose from (they have 12-Core Mac Pro's starting at $1,799 USD) or you can find one on eBay relatively cheap. You can even get a 2009 Mac Pro 4-Core for $529 which is what you would pay for a Mac Mini 2-Core! Just something to consider.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]