FORUMS: list search recent posts

Locking Macbook HDMI Output

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Strivens
Locking Macbook HDMI Output
on May 18, 2017 at 2:26:20 pm

Hi All,

I want to switch between 2 video sources going into an HDMI hub. One of these sources is a MacBook, but as soon as I switch to the other source, the MacBook drops the display settings, and when I switch there are a few seconds of black while it once again sets itself to the screen.

Is there some software that can prevent this happening, effectively locking the output of the HDMI as whatever I tell it to be? Or is this a hardware solution. I have thought about using another monitor to pass the HDMI signal through, ensuring an "always on" for the Mac, but its a bit clumsy!

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Locking Macbook HDMI Output
on May 19, 2017 at 11:54:57 am

The Mac is smart sensing where there is a display signal and dynamically switching to/from it. I don't know if you can change this behavior. You might want to find a solution that feeds a steady HDMI signal to the Mac and switches somewhere else in the chain (unless someone else knows how to override this behavior).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 20, 2017 at 7:14:43 am

So if I understand you right, Blackmagic makes devices that do that. I routinely broadcast multiple HDMI or SDI feeds into a BM production switcher, that feeds the chosen camera into a Teranex box that converts the signal to a Thunderbolt feed into the Mac. From there I use Wirecast to feed multiple outputs. That's the setup for 3 or more cameras. BM also has just brought out a new device that feeds one HDMI feed and one SDI feed into a switcher unit. No experience yet with that, and some reviews on B&H are not flattering. But I don't think you can do what you are wanting to do. Maybe I just don't understand your requirements.

Al

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 20, 2017 at 7:18:23 am

Just to be clear, there is no reason a "camera" can't be an HDMI feed from a computer. It's just an HDMI signal. No reason to get hung up on what the HDMI signal comes from. It may be that the "switcher" you are using isn't sophisticated enough to hold the mac signal when you switch from it to the other source.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]