FORUMS: list search recent posts

trying to record mac desktop to Ninja Flame

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Reilly
trying to record mac desktop to Ninja Flame
on Jan 29, 2017 at 3:53:36 am

Trying to record the mac desktop (an HDMI connection driving 1920x1080 ("i" I imagine since it is at 60hz))
AND
be able to do a pass through so that the user can use the Mac as they are used to and I can capture their screen activity with the Ninja Flame.

It works initially but then things start to get wonky and the ATOMOS NINJA FLAME is recognized as a monitor, then it swtiches on and off.

Aside from quicktime/screenflow/camtasia which are all software solutions which I don't think I am going to be able to do (I don't think I am going to be able to install other apps on the computer we are capturing), how are people reliably capturing computer screen activity video ?

thanks!

Michael O

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: trying to record mac desktop to Ninja Flame
on Jan 29, 2017 at 1:14:25 pm

[Michael O'Reilly] "1920x1080 ("i" I imagine since it is at 60hz)"
Computer monitors are progressive. Interlacing is a thing only televisions know about. You should be recording 1080p.
[Michael O'Reilly] "be able to do a pass through so that the user can use the Mac as they are used to and I can capture their screen activity with the Ninja Flame."
Not sure what you mean by "pass thru". It's more like a "Y" split, driving dual displays in mirror mode. In other words, you actually want the Mac to think that what its plugged into the HDMI port is a display and then set the Mac to mirror it's displays so that the same thing is delivered to both displays. This means that both displays need to be at the same resolution so the internal Mac display needs to be set to 1920x1080 as well.
[Michael O'Reilly] "how are people reliably capturing computer screen activity video ?"
I use Camtasia. (sorry)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Michael O'Reilly
Re: trying to record mac desktop to Ninja Flame
on Jan 29, 2017 at 9:56:45 pm

thanks for your response.

I get what you mean about the y-split - i think we are saying the same thing.

However, the whole progressive/interlaced thing is where I think it is getting wonky - the monitor is at 1920x1080/60hz - which means the screen is being refreshed more often than a progressive signal - but monitors and frame rates are not the same thing.

Anyway, I think the easier thing would be to get the use to let me install something, like Camtasia.

I appreciate your input.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]