FORUMS: list search recent posts

OS 10.11.6 Security upgrade disables nVidia GeForce GTX 680mx on iMac 27

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
OS 10.11.6 Security upgrade disables nVidia GeForce GTX 680mx on iMac 27
on Jan 18, 2017 at 11:40:51 pm

Apple had this "security" update last night and I foolishly updated it, thinking it would only patch some bugs. After reboot my nVidia GeForce GTX 680mx iMac 27" no longer works and I am on software only. Nvidea does NOT have a patch available as of this afternoon. Be aware. Once again, upgrading even security patches by Apple are prone to screw up your machine, which is depressing enough. More reasons to move to Windows. it's been my impression security updates on my windows machines have not hampered my video card drivers.

Al

Return to posts index

Paul Williams
Re: OS 10.11.6 Security upgrade disables nVidia GeForce GTX 680mx on iMac 27
on Jan 19, 2017 at 9:42:22 am

Nvidia are usually pretty quick in catching up with their driver updates. The probable reason that this happened is that this security update "fixed a kernel issue" and these types of updates change the OS X version code that Nvidia drivers check on startup. I also fell into this trap - thinking the update was just a routine patch 😞

Return to posts index

Aaron Freeman
on Jan 19, 2017 at 2:03:48 pm

Same here... (MacPro 5,1) with 4Gig GTX 680 card. The Security Update knocked out the nvidia driver and reverted to the generic OS driver and now all my monitors look blue. I can't color correct any video. Past OS updates Nvidia has been on par with providing a patch. On second day with no fix.... Not cool. Time Machine didn't revert back the security update either. Obviously apple found a security flaw in the driver so its up to Nvidia to fix this.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 19, 2017 at 2:32:57 pm

Apple's test labs had to know about this in advance. These are standard machines they sold. I have been inside of similar test labs, and they always have a large contingent of older machines to be able to test against. I would assume that every time Apple puts out a new machine there a number of them go into these test labs to be able to run automated test again software updates. If they want our business they have to do a better job of testing and alerting professional users in advance. I have lost trust in them over this and it works against everyone's interests to be creating distrust in updating to protect against hacking.

Al

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 19, 2017 at 7:58:58 pm

Day 2. Still no upgrade to the nVidia drivers. Currently showing that 346.03.15f05 is current and not compatible with iMac GeForce GTZ 680MX and OS X 10.11.6 Security updated.

Al

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 20, 2017 at 10:31:52 pm

Day 3. Still no upgrade.

Al

Return to posts index

Paul Williams
on Jan 21, 2017 at 6:41:34 am

After waiting this long for other third-party software suppliers to catch up with MacOS Sierra and after being blocked for three days waiting for the NVIDIA update, I finally decided to upgrade to MacOS Sierra. Everything went pretty well and I now have a working NVIDIA graphics driver!

Paul

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 21, 2017 at 8:03:33 pm

nVidia delivered the updated driver today. Seems to work fine.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]