FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is It Save To Upgrade to El Capitan?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
Is It Save To Upgrade to El Capitan?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 1:19:28 am

I never jump on a new OS until all the bugs have been worked out. When El Capitan came out there were pros and cons at about 50/50. So I did not upgrade. I heard stories that the computer ran slower and some programs would not work at all. So I did not upgrade.

Is El Capitan ready for Primetime?

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

phil sheldon
Re: Is It Save To Upgrade to El Capitan?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:03:56 pm

i'd say no - don't upgrade unless you have to.

i cudn't get my apple mouse to work on my macbook with yosemite so upgraded. mouse works now but the machine definately feels slower, and resolve has pretty much packed up, so am back on fcpx which is holding together

cheers

Phil

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 8, 2016 at 1:00:54 am

I haven't upgraded to El Capitan yet because several of my audio plug-ins were not supported. This has since been fixed but I've also read that FCP X has some display glitches. I probably won't upgrade until a new version of FCP X comes out that fixes any issues. I would stick with Yosemite for now. I can't list a single reason to upgrade to El Capitan. There simply aren't any new features compelling me to upgrade so I'm staying with Yosemite for now.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on Jan 9, 2016 at 4:28:11 pm

I have been sniffing around El Capitan too.

I am still running Mountain Lion and have no issues with FCP 7, Adobe CS6, Apple Aperture etc.

The only reason to upgrade to the new OS is to be able to buy Logic Pro which does not run on Mountain Lion. This in itself is deeply annoying...

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Feb 5, 2017 at 9:31:56 pm

I was just getting ready to upgrade - literally - after having worked out several issues w/FCP.

Now it seems my Adobe CS6 will not work in anything past mac os 10.7 (Lion) ???

worth noting is this is the Master Suite; I use AE the most but the others also - NOT CC but the stand alone, actual CS6.

is this for real? I can't go past 10.7? There are a number of times I've been locked out of software that needs a 10.10 or higher to work. I was actually going for Yosemite but then felt confident I could go higher, to El Capitan.

so now what?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 6, 2017 at 12:02:19 am

You could create a partition or use an external drive and clone your system on to that drive. Then update your FC drive to the latest OS and stay current. But better check if the latest FC works with a dated After Effects?

This EOL MO for apps people rely on is really trying.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 10, 2016 at 1:26:07 am

I just got a new iMac but haven't set it up yet. Can I clone my current system to the new computer? I'm using 10.10.5. Not really looking forward to a learning curve of slightly different interface and features I don't need.

OTOH some FCP X users claim the "faster" OS is indeed faster. Can't say the 10.10.5 is bug free either. Also as a new machine it save me the trouble of having to reformat and doing a clean install. Though the recover my apps and email files and so forth would be the same pain.

Also usually Apple does not allow a computer to install an older OS. Though I have booted to one as an attached drive or even target disk mode as a drive.

Anyway what do you think?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 10, 2016 at 2:52:01 am

[Craig Alan] "I just got a new iMac but haven't set it up yet. Can I clone my current system to the new computer?"
That depends on whether your new system has hardware that is compatible with the drivers on your old system. Since your old system uses Yosemite which is only one generation behind, I'm going to guess that it should work fin on a new iMac. If you had Snow Leopard it might be a different story.
[Craig Alan] "I'm using 10.10.5. Not really looking forward to a learning curve of slightly different interface and features I don't need. "
I really don't see any learning curve if that's what you are worried about. This is why most people haven't updated yet. El Capitan has nothing really new so why "rock the boat" if your system is working solid. By Apple's own admission, El Capitan is more about refinements than whole new ways of working.
[Craig Alan] "Also usually Apple does not allow a computer to install an older OS. Though I have booted to one as an attached drive or even target disk mode as a drive. "
I keep a USB thumb drive with all the older installers and they work fine. The only limitation, as I said, is if you have a Mac with hardware that is not supported by a particular OS X version (usually graphics cards).
[Craig Alan] "Anyway what do you think?"
There are two options. (well... 3 since one is to accept a clean install and configure everything manually but that's no fun):

First connect your old Mac in Target Disk mode or connect a copy of your Mac's boot drive to a USB port. Then:
  • You can decide to keep El Capitan on your new iMac and when prompted elect to restore from the connected Mac drive. This will ask you which account you want to restore and it will copy all of your data and applications. You will end up with El Captian and all of your previous applications, email, etc. It's a great way to migrate to a new Mac.

• You can hold down the Option ⌥ key while booting and select your Target Mode drive from your old Mac and boot your old Mac drive on your new computer. if everything seems to work, use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your old Mac drive to your new iMac's boot drive. Then shutdown and detach the target mode drive and boot your new mac which will be an exact copy of your old Mac OS X and all.
I would use the first option unless you have a really good reason to choose the second. The advantage is that the newest version of OS X will always make better use of your new hardware and give you the best user experience.

~jr

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 10, 2016 at 5:58:28 am

Funny I have read a bunch of posts that the Mac refuses the installation of an older OS. Maybe from the Apple store, but I thought a clone might work.

So basically on an older Mac like my 2011, there is no good reason to upgrade (though some feel it sped things up significantly); but on the 2015 Mac, the latest OS will support the new hardware better. So unless there is a reason to downgrade, stay with the latest OS. It definitely has a brand new graphic card and I ordered it with an SD drive not in the old machine and the CPU is a different speed i7.

As far as using migration utility: I have always done clean installs. I thought the thinking behind clean is that you aren't putting any old bugs or incompatible files or populating the new system with clutter files that are not needed.

I've just used the Apple store to download everything I've bought and then manually brought over apps that aren't in the Apple store like CCC, disk warrior, MS OFFICE 2008, Handbreak, etc. Then I copy my documents file into the new documents folder. The only tricky part is stuff hidden in the system library like internet links and mail. But preferences, also hidden in the library, in most cases, eventually need rebuilding anyway. And even the apps might have new versions with bug fixes and or rewrites for the next OS.

Is migration utility more advanced now that it doesn't install anything that will doesn't work with the new system?

And I'm hoping that it will accept MS OFFICE 2008 which i have no need to update. MS has a habit of making older files not quite compatible with major up-grades. You don't loose your content, but formatting can become a mess. It happened to me when they got rid of macros in 2008. It's been years since I've used macros so I stopped caring. But kinda like FCP 3-7, it took me a while to learn it and it was painful to have it EOL. MS brought it back in 2011. But I stopped caring so I don't know if its the same or compatible with the 2004 files. I think I needed to upgrade to 2008 when Yosemite came out.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 10, 2016 at 1:48:40 pm

A clean install is always best but, as you pointed out, it takes more work because you have to re-configure all of your preferences, email, etc. manually.

I've used the migration utility several times and I haven't had any problems with it. It really saves days of tweaking to get your new system back to where your old system was but it does have the possibility of bringing over bad preferences, etc. It's really up to you. If your systems is a bit quirky, a clean install is definitely recommended. If it's solid, I don't see any reason not to use migration and save yourself a lot of time.

I'm about to replace the HDD in my Mac Mini with a fusion drive and I plan to install El Capitan and do a migration because I have a lot of plug-ins that I don't want to have to re-install and then re-license. It's the re-licensing that's the real nightmare for me so I prefer migrations. IMHO, the Apple Store is a stroke of genius. I hate buying any software that's not offered in the Apple Store because it makes rebuilding a system so much harder.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

~jr

Return to posts index

Vironique Vironique
on Jan 20, 2016 at 7:22:06 am

I am a new member of this community. I hope, that in forums i have a great time!

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Jan 22, 2016 at 4:30:05 am

"Funny I have read a bunch of posts that the Mac refuses the installation of an older OS. Maybe from the Apple store, but I thought a clone might work. "

I have been successful cloning old systems to one that the Apple installer will not allow the install.

The best way to test it is to boot from a clone and do some tests on the hardware BEFORE
actually cloning the OS onto the new hardware system.

FCP X 10.2.2 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic

Return to posts index

chris smith
on Jan 23, 2016 at 5:44:49 pm

it's always best to wait a few versions before you upgrade that way most of the bugs have been ironed out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]