FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac 5k vs Mac Pro 6 core

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Holland
iMac 5k vs Mac Pro 6 core
on Nov 14, 2015 at 2:25:57 am

Looking for some advice. I have been debating on whether to update to a maxed out iMac 5k or a 6 core Mac Pro. I'm editing on a daily basis using premiere and after effects but only in HD, no 4K. For this type of work, the iMac should do the job just fine. My dilemma is that a work on a few extremely large and complex video wall presentations every year in after effects that require massive compositions, long render times and transcoding. Should I spend the extra cash on the pro knowing those projects need something more powerful than the iMac? Should I consider getting the iMac and using an older 12 core Mac Pro I have for these intensive projects. Maybe consider network rendering between the two?

Any ideas? Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: iMac 5k vs Mac Pro 6 core
on Nov 15, 2015 at 2:32:48 am

You might want to ask this on the Adobe Premiere Pro or After Effects forum to get advice from editors that actually use the software you are using. I don't use either (I use Final Cut Pro X and Motion).

I agree that heat could be a problem with an iMac for long renders in which case I would get the Mac Pro. I recently purchased a 2010 12-Core Mac Pro instead of the iMac 5K for the exact same reason. I wanted to be able to do long renders without the worry of heat. The 27" iMac with Retina 5K is an absolutely gorgeous machine and I seriously considered buying it and people who have bought it say they love it. If you have an old Mac Pro just for the occasional long render, I would go with the iMac 5K for every day use. If you stop by the Apple Store to see it in person, you'll want to buy it. It's very impressive. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]